HybridZ

Starting 280zx Shaved Rear

V8_DatZun

I started working on fixing some rust that was on my tail light panel Friday, and being the typical Z owner one thing led to another and um... Yeah... I started cutting stuff up...

This is my first major body work project, besides the small patch i did on the tail light panel here is a pic of that before i finished grinding it smooth (today).

05-17-2009020.jpg

And here are pics of me starting to shave the rear... This first pic i decided I would need to blend the lower piece in, to make it look better and be a little easier to fab the quarter panel patch up to shave the rear. IDK if i like this look yet, or would rather keep the bottom portion all the way to the rear of the car...

05-17-2009002.jpg

05-17-2009003.jpg

And here is a pic of where i traced the patch onto the quarter panel. I cut the patch first, then traced it onto the car so i could cut the car to match the panel...

05-17-2009004.jpg

Here is the patch. Im not done grindind the welds down yet but yeah...

05-17-2009005.jpg

05-17-2009006.jpg

And shot with primer so it doesnt rust overnight (I dont have a shop do work in my yard)

05-17-2009008.jpg

I havent started on the passanger side yet, but it will be the same as the driver, so im not going to post pics of it. I'll post more when i get the back panel welded on.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blah why does the 280zx have to have that recess in the quarter that makes it so much harder to shave the rear??

There are some who say that Nissan took the design for the s-30 and ruined it in the s-130.

Could this be an example of that????

LoL Definatly... Also the back from back wheel arch to back of rear quarter is alot longer than the s-30. ALTHOUGH it still looks alot better than the midevil battering ram that was on it to start with. Also the more i look at it... i think I'm going to cut out the part that i tapered off to the rear, and modify the arch so it tapers off toward the bottom of the car, making it look more like the s-30. That area i tapered i think will just look weird ending before the rear of the car, and then having flat smooth look for the last foot lol. SO.. more pics to come once i buy a few more grinding wheels tonight after work.

Once I removed all the fussy detailing on my s-30, the lines really popped out.

It looks like on the s-130 there is alot more to remove, fill, fab. etc...

It looks like you are headed in the right direction with your concept.

Any larger pictures??

Since your not too far from me, can I drop my ZX off with you so you can do this to mine:biggrin:? Doing two at once doesn't take that much longer! Keep us posted!

Edit: What are you going to do about the tail lights? The reason I ask is because they stick out and it kinda looks funky with the shaved rear IMHO.

First, thanks for all the comments, suggestions, words of encouragement...

Second, tailights, i think I'm going to go with ford mustang... as Warren did. He said he will give any input/help he can to help me get it done. It will be a little while on that, but i think thats what i'm going to go with.

luvemfast, Thanks for the suggestions and pics. Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Did you weld any tubing behind it to help spread impact in case of a rear end collision? I am going to add this before I'm done.

Here are some pics from today. I'm not finished with it yet, and i just have the pieces tack welded in.

I completely got rid of the raised portion behind the wheel arch. All i did was make a cut (cut too much and had to weld a patch in). Still have to do this to the drivers side... Here is the pic of that..

107.jpg

108.jpg

Passanger side patch tack welded in place...

109.jpg

Starting the rear...

110.jpg

And a side shot of the car to get an idea how it will look when completed...

112.jpg

More work to come this afternoon... I'll post the pics then. I'm going to try and get all the pieces tacked in place. Hopefully I'll have time before my girl gets off work. She likes to help me with the car and all, but sometimes she gets impatient with me spending time on the car and not her. So goes the life of a Hybrid Z'er.... :wink:

I'm using a Clarke 135 amp i believe.... It works good on low setting for body work.. gets good penetration. What welder do i want? For now I'm happy with this.. I like the spool is on the gun. I can crawl around under the car and weld while still adjusting wire speed, etc...

I got one corner shaped and tacked. It is a PAIN to shape the corners. I had to trim and grind for around an hour to get it all to fit like it should, and shape the part. Anyway... Tomorrow the other corner will get welded, and i'll weld it all round, grind it down and possibly start bondo. Here are the latest pics...

**EDIT** **NOTE**

The body line looks like it curves bad because the weld line does... The actualy body line is pretty straight, as i bent the edge of the side piece, and cut the rear piece to mate up to it. The actual corner body line is bent/rolled, not welded.

*ALSO*

240-280Z owners be glad you have it so simple to shave the rear of your cars!

Back Angle.

rear001.jpg

Corner Angle

rear002.jpg

Side Angle

rear003.jpg

luvemfast, Thanks for the suggestions and pics. Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Did you weld any tubing behind it to help spread impact in case of a rear end collision? I am going to add this before I'm done.

Short answer is no, this car is just for weekend motorsport for me and is on classic historic registration. Which means that it is cheap, but can only be driven on club events, to and fro working on the car and "testing". Big fines if you get caught abusing this system.

And anyway,

I don't plan on having any accidents at all icon12.gif

As you like I found out, there is heaps of work to get it to look good with all the bends and angles.

How far down to the bottom edge are you going to take it?

Good luck with the rest of it. Don't forget to seam weld ALL of it or it will crack. icon7.gif

I'll probably come down on each side of the vents that are in the center so the bottom is completely even. I just wanted to get that hard angle out the way first. And i just have it tacked in at the moment to make sure its what i want. If i need to change it i can grind the tacks and change whats needed.

Thanks for the comments guys.