HybridZ

my z is barely getting any fuel

okay so I fired up my v8 for the first time today, exciting, but it doesn't run fully. there's almost no fuel getting to the cylinders. we were spraying engine starter fluid into the top of the carb and it worked, the problem was once it burned that off it sputtered and died shortly after. and we went to see if we were getting any gas and when we took off the fuel line from the carb gas was backed up and squirted out.

any ideas? the best I can come up with is just replacing the carb.

Sometimes they will stick if the carb is turned upside down. You might try just tapping on the float bowl or take the carb off and shake it you should be able to hear it if its free. Failing that you may have to pull the bowl.

something stuck in the seat?

Some carbs have a small filter in between the fuel line fitting and the float bowl, which would keep it from getting fuel. You mentioned "when we took off the fuel line from the carb gas was backed up and squirted out", what do you mean it was "backed up"? Check the fuel filter? Just throwing out ideas.

OK, gotcha! Well, if you pulled the float bowl off, can you blow on the fuel fitting and swing the float up & down to get flow to go & stop freely? Has to be a problem somewhere. If it sat long enough and it was hot out, the gas in the seat could have varnished up and would be the place to cut off fuel flow. Good luck.

Not sure what carb you have, but rebuild kits are fairly cheap.

didnt try that because we left the fuel line on the fuel fitting. but there IS gas in the bowl so it is getting in, its something internal in the carb. and i dont know what carb i have because our mechanic got it from a friend because he thought the one i had was no good. now im starting to think we were better off with the original one we had.

Sounds like you have a passage blocked or something. If the carb sat for any real amount of time with fuel in it, you may be better off going with a full rebuild or throwing a new Edelbrock on there. There is a trick of getting it running with the starter fluid and rev it up and slam your hand down on it before it dies. This will pull fuel out all the bleed passages and can often unplug some of the them. At this point, doesn't hurt to try. ;)

slam my hand down on what exactly? im a little weary to slam my hand down on the carb because i forgot to mention but its spat up a flame twice. im not sure what that might be, im thinking its just the starter fluid burning up before it gets all the way in, im not sure.

Well, Holley's are a pain and Quadrajunk.....not the best. I always had great performance with a 600 CFM Edelbrock on my built 350 SBC. If the metering block is plugged, just take it off and leave it in some dip overnight, clean it and put it back together. That may do the trick.

I took the carb off today (its a carter AFB) and I started to tear it down for cleaning. I got to a point where I can't really get much more off (this is where experience would help me). I might try to tear it down a bit more, I might just drop it in the cleaner how it is. I have a rebuilt kit in the mail.

okay I got the carb cleaned and rebuilt but I can't for the life o me figure out how the linkage on the passenger side of the carb go on. I figured the only thing that would stop would be the secondaries so I thought I'd test fire it anyways. it's getting fuel now but when we try to start it it runs sometimes sometimes not. when it does it doesn't stay running. it'll go for a bit then die off. also it seems to be spiting up fuel/air mix into the air. anyone know hat my problem might be? is it the linkages?

edit: video of whats happening

th_IMG_0793.jpg