HybridZ

Aftermarket speedo and tach

Guest RXO510

We've been reading some past posts on the install of aftermarket speedos and tachs. So far we've seen silicone as the solution to this install. Anybody try using the foam weatherstripping that you can buy at Autozone, Pepboys........ It comes in a roll 1/4" - 1" widths. The back is like a sticker where you can peel and place. I thought this might be a better fit. Just ordered our speedo and tach and will try the foam weatherstripping. Just wondering if anybody has given this a try. Maybe some double stick tape or something? twak.gif J & G icon_biggrin.gif

Tim,

We ordered the Pro Comp 5" in dash ones. The 3 gauges in the stock pods are the Autometer Pro Comp series 2 5/8 Wanted them to match up. twak.gif

Hey Maximum Scarab! Please let us know how the weatherstripping works for you. We will try it also when we get our speedo and tach. We think the fit would be better with that or the double stick tape. Can always be peeled off easily if it doesn't work. The weatherstripping comes in gray and black that we have seen at the store. Good luck! twak.gif

Hey Long! You have a nice Z there! We like it alot. Tried looking for the pics of your gauge setup in your website, but didn't see any. Do you have any? How did you mount your speedo and tach? twak.gif J & G

Guest dankinzle

Thanks a lot. I am currently in the process of putting the last 3 in so I haven't got any pics up yet. I do have the speedo and tach in and it looks really nice. I looked at it for a while and ended up using the silicon trick. I was wary to do this at first, but once it all dried I was pretty impressed with how it held--not rock hard or anything, but the gauges aren't going anywhere soon.

Alright Dan. Let us know when you get your pics up. We need to do our before and after shots of CHUD too. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Mike and John (hmmmm velcro; that's a great idea also, thanks for your info on this subject. We saw that some members were looking for alternate means of securing the Speedo and Tach so we were looking for a better way. We know there isn't much space there in between and wanted to make sure it wasn't too tight. We're hoping you're not having any problems with the Speedo or Tach Mike??? icon_biggrin.gif Thanks again! twak.gif J & G

Hey Mike! Did you mention that in your previous posts anywhere? We kept looking and found nothing in the search. Maybe I worded it wrong in the search box.

Just looked into your site again. Your gauge setup looks awesome. Those Phantom gauges are really easy to read. The white faces must help out alot at night too! Sweet setup! Also, really leaning towards that rearend setup!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.giftwak.gif J & G

Guest Anonymous

I installed AutoMeter UltraLight gauges years ago. I used three short drywall screws and some black RTV silicon. I don't think the gauges would move if you punched them. The only problem I have with them is that I have a low tacking Pontiac motor that redlines at half the tack. I get lost in all those numbers!!

The first time around with my 5" Autometers, I used the dash mount bracket for the tach, flipped it 180-deg and had a C-shaped bracket attached to that and the stock mount on the dash.

For the speedo...tack welded a bracket to the inside of the dash, on that metal strip.

But now the dash is in but the gauges had to come out. Gonna try the foam weather stripping stuff. Thanks guys!

Owen

quote:

Originally posted by rickeybell:

The only problem I have with them is that I have a low tacking Pontiac motor that redlines at half the tack. I get lost in all those numbers!!

Yeah, isn't that silly? I wanted to find a 6000 rpm tach so I'd get greater resolution out of it. No sense in having a 10k tach when you're only using 1/2 of it.

I was wondering if we could just set up the tach so it thinks it's attached to a 4 cylinder engine, then make custom gauge faces on a laserprinter? Am I crazy for thinking that this would work?