HybridZ

There's gas where the oil is

Ok for no reason what so ever i took out the stick where the oil is today and it smelled like gas, obviously there's something wrong but before i go on when i bought the car it wasn't running so i bought parts for it and checked the oil and it smelled like gas so i did an oil change but a couple of days later i was trying to get the car running and it turned on and drove it for its first drive but as i was stepping on it i could hear the engine rev but the car would barely move (maybe like 15mph) as i was bringing it up the driveway i turned it off and tried to figure out what was wrong with it and could'nt come up with a reason why it was doing that so i tried to turn it on again and it did turn on but then there was smoke coming out the muffler and as soon as i would let go of the pedal it would turn off (weird the car has never thrown out smoke before). This was about a week ago and have'nt turned it on since but like i said i checked the oil today for no reason at all and it smelled like gas so i thought this is probably why the car does'nt run like it's suppossed to.

Right now i'm doing a conversion to some su carbs maybe this will solve the problem of gas entering where the oil is...

If anybody could please help me and tell me why there would be gas where the oil is suppossed to be...???

What could be wrong with the car...???

I would deeply appreciate the help

(Talked to a friend about this and said maybe a piston is messed up but IDK)

no spark + blow by into the crank case from the chamber... that would explain the poor perfomance as well.

They petrol int he cylnders is leaking into the crankcase instead of getting burnt. theres discussions of this if you search a bit. I'd suggest to do a cylinder pressure test + a leakdown test. You would probably be better advised to replace your rings rather than do an EFI to SU swap, you'd still have the same problem with carbs, just the method of the fuel getting to the cylinder would change, not the cylinder to crankcase fuel transfer.

(If this is for your 76 280z, not stated)

OK here are my thoughts......

1. Bad rings. ( Im with your buddy) most likly the main problem that is causing a few others too. i.e. a few vacume leaks,

2. Bad Valve seals. could be adding to the problem, usually there is white smoke on startup that can stop or be faintly visable after the engine gets warm.

The two combined are a worst case, but looks like you might have chance to rebuild.

:)

Omar, to re-ring an engine means to pull it all apart and replace the rings, and hone the block. You're 60% of the way to a full rebuild anyway, you might as well do it all the way. Yes, you can get piston rings at autozone.

Just did a real quick read through and i dont think i saw anyone say that your injectors are probably leaking when your car is off. They are flooding the engine when its not running and then leaking past the rings into your oil. If so the SU swap will fix the problem

yes you need to pull out the engine, the crossmember is in the way to pull the crank and pistons from underneath.

You need to drain the motor, pull it, remove the tranny and flip it upside down, remove the pan and the take the crank out, pull the pistons out on their rods and snap the rings off, snap new ones on, hone the block and replace the pistons in the bores and replace the crank. since you have the crank out and rods off, you may as well replace the bearing shells on the mains and rods. And since you've the engine most of the way apart by then, you might as well succumb to "while-you're-at-it"itis and remove the head, pull the camshaft and valve springs and lap the valves to the seats and replace the springs.

+1

Just did a real quick read through and i dont think i saw anyone say that your injectors are probably leaking when your car is off. They are flooding the engine when its not running and then leaking past the rings into your oil. If so the SU swap will fix the problem

I had that in my mind but was a little out of it when typing my first reply.....

You COULD rebuild the engine in the car, if you don't mind a dead back. Also if you need any major work done it would have to come out......

I would look for a parts car to see if you can pull a running motor form the rebuild the old one.

How does this guy even know he needs a rebuild? His engine might smoke for alot of reasons. Head gasket leaking valve seals to name a few. You guys are really quick to tell this guy to rebuild his engine. He needs to fix the fueling problem and then do a compression check/leakdown test to see where his engine actually is. According to what you guys are saying every one should rebuild the engine every time there car doesnt run right.

Ok so how do you do a pressure and leakdown test...??? What do you need to do both tests...??? First thing I'm gonna do is do the swap and check if the gas leaks and if it does well then I only wish one of you guys could help me out with this... Is there any member that would be willing to help me out with this...???