HybridZ

Problem: Oil POURING out of the coolant inlet on the block

Sideways

Must admit im feeling rather frustrated. Finally finished rebuilding my engine, f54 turbo block, and we finally went to pour in the oil and prime it. First sign of trouble came when there was no oil pressure. Pulled the oil line off the turbo to see if anything was flowing, nothing. So we decided to put some pressure through it via an air hose into the inlet on the valve cover to see what happened. Oil started to pour out of the coolant inlet on the front passenger side of the block at an alarming rate (the hoses werent connected and there was no water in the block, hadnt gotten that far yet). I dont mean a slight trickle, it was litteraly pouring and gushing out of the inlet.

For the life of me i cant figure out what would let the oil pour out like this, at first i was thinking a crack somewhere or something, but i dont think the oil would be able to flow that badly if that was it. Is there a seal i could have missed? something that should have been plugged somewhere that wasnt? Any help would be helpful. Once again, thanks everyone.

Edit: Just realized i made a complete goof on the title as well, what i get for making this at 4 am last night.

Hmmmm??? You put oil in the top, through the valve cover oil inlet, it must be something in the head that is letting the oil enter the cooling system? Did you have head work done? You didn't forget to put the head gasket in did you? (not sure if that would make a difference) OR maybe the front crank seal?

I would check a schematic of the gaskets needed and think REAL hard if you put each one of those in that motor!! good luck.

To confirm; you pressureized the crankcase by putting air into the valve cover. (not a good idea to use high pressure as you could blow seals and gaskets)

Oil poured out of the coolant inlet???

You need to supply pictures.......

To confirm; you pressureized the crankcase by putting air into the valve cover. (not a good idea to use high pressure as you could blow seals and gaskets)

Oil poured out of the coolant inlet???

You need to supply pictures.......

Ill get some tonight, but ya- thats the rough idea. It wasnt highly pressurized, my finger tip was the only thing sealing the block against the compressed air, and even then only a small amount of compressed air was use- just wanted to see if we could get some kind of response from the oil pressure sensor

Edit: Problem solved. At least I damn well hope so. We decided to pressurize the coolant system this time, see if we could hear where it was leaking through at and track down the problem. Soon as we did our ears were drawn to the loud wooshing sound in the front of the motor. A quick glance at my old block, and a double check with a flash light on my new motor later confirmed the thought. My buddy never put in the front freeze plug, and in my hurry while putting on the timing chain and cover, I never noticed. Ill have this fixed tonight within the next few hours and ill update again. Cross your fingers and heres hoping.

Ill get some tonight, but ya- thats the rough idea. It wasnt highly pressurized, my finger tip was the only thing sealing the block against the compressed air, and even then only a small amount of compressed air was use- just wanted to see if we could get some kind of response from the oil pressure sensor

Edit: Problem solved. At least I damn well hope so. We decided to pressurize the coolant system this time, see if we could hear where it was leaking through at and track down the problem. Soon as we did our ears were drawn to the loud wooshing sound in the front of the motor. A quick glance at my old block, and a double check with a flash light on my new motor later confirmed the thought. My buddy never put in the front freeze plug, and in my hurry while putting on the timing chain and cover, I never noticed. Ill have this fixed tonight within the next few hours and ill update again. Cross your fingers and heres hoping.

thats good!!

so how much oil is left in the coolant passages?

and will it mix with the coolant when you put some in, turning to a nice caramel consistency once its warmed up and blocking your radiator core nicely?

i'd be doing everything i can to flush it all out.

and will it mix with the coolant when you put some in, turning to a nice caramel consistency once its warmed up and blocking your radiator core nicely?

i'd be doing everything i can to flush it all out.

if this is the case, Could you run some degreaser through the radiator during flush?

Problem Solved

Want to see something funny, who cant spot the problem?

IMG_1967-1.jpg

This picture was taken weeks ago while ago. Oh how it mocks me now. Thanks for the help everyone- Yes it was just simply my dumbass not noticing the front freeze plug was in. The Coolant system now holds pressure on its own, as does the oil. 10 psi at cranking. I just need to test the fuel system now and i should be about ready to fire it up. Heres hoping. Assuming all goes well and i dont have a catostrophic system melt down, i should have it tuned within a week or so. Ill be posting some graphs/videos- so stay tuned.

I dont think ive ever seen oil do this? Why would it? Ive seen it turn to a nice milk shake consistancy, but never seen it caramelize :P Theres only a bit in there im assuming (The dipstick read full and i only used about 4-5 quarts to fill it) but im really not terribly worried about it. It will be easy enough to fix with a regular garden hose, justl eave the system open at one spot and let it blow through for awhile.