HybridZ

N47 or p79

83zed owner

so pulled the head out of my 83 and called a shop to see if they had a p79 but they only have a n47 can i use the n47 head without any problems?

my block is the original f54, motor is bone stock so is the car. Reason why i pulled the head is because i wanted to get all new seals and resurface the bottom. thanks for your help.

Guest Rolling Parts

People swap heads all the time (this is a hybrid site after all) so it's not unusual around here. If you're otherwise staying stock, just have your original head reworked since the reason you're doing it is just to "refresh" what you have.

correct that's what am doing refreshing what i have but ,i also want more kick, now am not trying to bring the famous "HOW TO GET MORE HP ON MY N/A" questions lol but what you guys are telling me is that it will raise compression,now the question is will i be needing to upgrade injectors and blah blah blah etc.now if that is the case then i will just stay p79.

sorry for just saying stock .now the car is an 83 zx with f54 block, and p79 head ,and flat top pistons .

now lets say i go n47 would i i need a thicker head gasket to lower compression?

thanks all for the questions and the advice.

Marco P.

I do currently have F54, Flat top and N42 (same as N47 regarding Compression chamber), with stock cams and stock ignition settings you will detonate.

the way to avoid that is to lower timing (with MSA stage II, I've got total timing setup at 28-29°). Doable for a short period of time under certain circumstances (can the stock distributor handle decent timing at idle and total timing at the same time...?)

Obviously premium gas would also be mandatory.

more camshaft,premium pump gas,being able to have the vacuem advance retard timing,run a 160 thermostat.alot of modern cars are running 10/1 compression.a good high compression engine has better throttle response.back when my car had the old l28 original engine i put in new injectors,new injector connectors,and built a custom distributor from 2 dizzys.the plug on the vacuem can has an adjustment under it.the is a plastic piece under the base plate that is usually broken the the centrifical advance is usually inop.any way after some fine tuning the old l28 was a very surprising engine.if i didnt have all the turbo stuff around i wouldnt mind having a nicely built n/a motor with aftermarkit efi.

ive also been thinking of doing this swap, i have a n47 just sitting in my parts car ive been thinking of swapping... so to answer some more specific questions for the poster and myself..

With the msa stage 2 or 3 cam in mind, can the car run on stock efi, and be "fine" if yes or no, what are the drawbacks? basically i wanna know if im going to ruin something by not getting megasquirt or something right away.. and will the gains still be greater than the losses?

Timing can probably be taken care of in some way with the stock distributor as the last user posted, correct?