HybridZ

The new LT1 is in!

After a year and a half I decided the oil burning 130K mile LT1 had to go. I picked up a GM LT1 4 bolt main crate engine and build a better beast. I added a LT4 hot cam kit with roller 1.6 rockers to give it a small HP boost. Other than the cam the engine is stock. I fired it up this morning for the first time, gotta love that first start. I will break it in, probably get a dyno tune done and be ready for DNI in November.

assembly6b.jpg

Issues, of course I had issues. We installed the engine Friday night and I spent the last 3 days bolts stuff back on. I finished up late yesterday. So I go out this morning thinking it would fire right up. Well actually with my luck I thought it wouldn't fire. I was right. It didn't even try. I was thinking opt since that and the fuel injectors are really the only untested parts. I ran the opti test and it said all was good. Pulled a plug and it was dry as a bone. I sprayed a little starter fluid in the throttle body and it fire right up. OK its got to be the old injectors. I swapped out the complete fuel rail and injectors from the old engine and it fired right up. I ran it for 15 minutes, no leaks no horrible noises. I will let it cool down, change the oil and filter and see if it will move. Hopefully I can get a buddy over here to help me put the hood back on. Naturally its raining today!

Looks good, Deja! So you had to go with more power this time, eh? ;) Let us know how much better your car does on the street with the crate motor installed. To bad your other LT1 burned oil after all that work getting your car sorted out over the past few years. It all comes down to money, don't it? :D

Davy

I will do that. As far as changing the engine that was the plan all along. I got the Z28 for $1500 and sold more than that in parts. So the engine and tranny were free. This engine certainly was not free, LOL. But a bit more power and the reliability of a new engine will be great.

Looks good, Deja! So you had to go with more power this time, eh? ;) Let us know how much better your car does on the street with the crate motor installed. To bad your other LT1 burned oil after all that work getting your car sorted out over the past few years. It all comes down to money, don't it? :D

Davy

Darn, Dale...you need to go back to work...you have WAY too much time on your hands and here ya go, showing off again...:o) Just kidding, my friend, just kidding. Looks to be super clean as I've come to expect from seeing your work and I, too, will bet on a smile after you get it broken in. Great stuff!

Wayne

Back to work, ya know I could use the rest. LOL.

I got the last bug worked out. Seems like the ignition module I just bought was bad, throwing a code 42. I gotta quit buying stuff on-line!!! That was one of the things I swapped in when I was having the injector issue. So I went back to the one from the old engine. Went for the first drive, no hood so I had to stay off the maine streets. They have some stupid no-hood law in this county. I tell you it was hard not to put my foot in it!

Darn, Dale...you need to go back to work...you have WAY too much time on your hands and here ya go, showing off again...:o) Just kidding, my friend, just kidding. Looks to be super clean as I've come to expect from seeing your work and I, too, will bet on a smile after you get it broken in. Great stuff!

Wayne