HybridZ

Just found out I have a very rare SBC.

JoeinCA

Money has been very tight for me for the past year or so, and I have been resisting selling any of my accumulated chevy parts and engines...

I broke down today and began checking casting numbers on the 327 I had in my first hybrid z.

I knew it had a vintage winters mid rise holley flange intake. A rarity in itself. Todays investigation revealed a bit more.

The intake manifold has part # 3917610. Which indicates that it was originally installed on a 302 camaro engine, which is pretty neat.

The engine propelled my little 280z much like a scalded feline. Up to a very unreliably indicated 150mph plus top speed when joined with my 89 firebird t5 wc, 3.54 rear, and stock tires. (please refrain from the obvious "what the hell were you thinking" commentary. I'm not always the sharpest crayon in the 6 pack, I have accepted this.)

Anyhoo, I also already knew that the block is an 010 block, or the "high nickel content" casting. I'm obviously no expert, but that precluded the chance that it was in fact a 302 engine. However, today's wire brush work finally revealed to me the actual VIN and serial numbers. V0618HV. Which breaks down to being built in Flint Michigan, on June 18th, for a 1965 corvette h/p 350hp (no wonder the car was so darn fast).

So, My question is simple. Who should I try to sell this engine to, and for how much? I assume that the value of the 302 would be higher than that of the corvette engine. But would a corvette engine with a 302 aluminum midrise winters intake technically be worth more than one with a stock intake?

I'm feeling kinda lucky right now, but now i don't want to sell this engine to your average Joe... as it was sold to me. Someone out there is probably searching for an engine to complete a numbers matching build on a poor engineless 65 vette somewhere. And I would hate to deprive them of the chance to purchase mine.

What do ya'll think?

the 010 blocks bring in some decent money if they are decent, i would try and sell it on a vette or GM based website, as apposed to tossing it on craigslist or ebay. dont know what the normal market price for a 327 with a 010 block is, but the last three i bought where $400 each as low mileage short blocks.

That's a cool discovery!!! I enjoy muscle car era parts. I would try to sell the intake and engine separately. Some of the Z28 guys will want the intake, and like you said, somebody with a vette might be looking for a correct motor. You might turn a nice profit.

jt

That sounds like the motor we eventually installed in my friend's Corv-8 back in '79. Originally had a 350, but got a deal on a 'Corvette 350HP 327' from a friendly JY owner who needed a proven good running 350 for a customer who wanted to 'see it run in a car before buying'... I think we gave the engine and $250 for it at the time.

That 327 seemed to scoot FAR better than the truck engine we had, much more revvy and 'nasty sounding'...

All subjective, I'm sure, but for two teenage kids doing CorV-8's in their parent's driveway (where the local Chief of Police comes by and writes down the license number saying 'see you two soon') we were not up on empirical measurements...

I say sell it to someone looking for a Vette with that number sequence. Advertize in Vette-specific publications/venues. Same for the Camaro Intake. Separate them and sell each for the best offer you can get.

I know my old boss paid foolish money for the block with the right numbers to go into his Thunderbolt. Vette people are no different when they want something, save they usually have money to spend! LOL