HybridZ

Headlight Squirters?

jayzrocket

Im curious about something. I haven't come across anything on the site about this yet, so I don't know if its been mentioned or covered. Could

a person use the set up on a ZXT for the headlight squirters for meth injection? Pump, resevoir, even a button on the column to juice it up. Im not sure about the pressure that needs to be. And the other concern might be whether or not the pump will be ok for the methanol. But doesn't windshield fluid carry meth in it?

Anyway just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Some people actually use wiper fluid. There was a reason, but it has since eclipsed me so I'm not gonna chip in anything there, but looking at the lines they use I can safely say that at any appreciable boost level, there will not be enough pressure or flow provided by that little pump to maintain a constant, correct flow into the intake air charge, especially if you plumb it into the pressurized side of the intake. At least not enough for me to trust any moderately pricey motor build on.

I've thought of doing something similar, except using some small fuel injectors (like 4-6) arranged in a ring around the intake tubing, feeding off of a high pressure ring. It seemed like a good idea to me, since people could tune it almost exactly like the normal ones.

That would be a sweet Idea. I think the problem with the idea of using a headlight squirter is that it simply cant flow that much at the required pressure to be useful. If you look at real meth pumps they dwarf most window squirter pumps. Not to mention the gauge wire they run ;)

That would be a sweet Idea. I think the problem with the idea of using a headlight squirter is that it simply cant flow that much at the required pressure to be useful. If you look at real meth pumps they dwarf most window squirter pumps. Not to mention the gauge wire they run ;)

Aren't most headlight/windshield squirters also usually just nozzles, with no ability to open/close? Seems pretty uncontrolled.

And dammit, now I'm going to have to test out my own idea. Maybe I'll do it on my LD swap, and set them to start squirting at certain EGTs....

Your idea would be great, the problem with headlight squirters is that they're designed to spray into a non-pressurized environment. You're talking major flow going into twice the pressure it was designed for (1bar+), it just seems a little risky to trust a squirter on a multiple thousand dollar engine build. Just me. Provided you can get a pump to flow enough, panzerace, you'll be good to go.

Your idea would be great, the problem with headlight squirters is that they're designed to spray into a non-pressurized environment. You're talking major flow going into twice the pressure it was designed for (1bar+), it just seems a little risky to trust a squirter on a multiple thousand dollar engine build. Just me. Provided you can get a pump to flow enough, panzerace, you'll be good to go.

My idea is to use high pressure lines (atleast 10-20psi more than what my max boost would be) with small fuel injectors, not headlight squirters ;)

Hmm... I gotta find my calculator for determining the correct amount of H20/Meth to spray, you'll be surprised to know it's quite a bunch. ;)

Not to say your idea is wrong, actually I'm very in favor of it since from the design you talk about it seems to be a very good atomizing implementation, just they may not be as small of injectors as you think...

Well, I'll take that as a given, since I have exactly zero practical knowledge of w/m systems.

That being said, I am talking 4 or 6 injectors, and right now I'm thinking more for it's cooling properties than for any direct power addition properties.

....damn, now I really want to try this out. Let me know what you determine for the amount of water/meth needed for different purposes, since I'm forseeing a trip to the pnp in my future. (though how I'm actually going to hook the injectors up to a pressurized w/m ring is yet to be figured out).

Oh, and I'm just calling it MW50 now, since for some reason I can type that without thinking about it :o (MW50 was the mix code for the water/meth solution that the luftwaffe used during WWII)