HybridZ

plastic media blasting

datsundave

Hey does anyone know if it is realistic to media blast my car with plastic media myself? And if so can you use any blasting gun to do so? About how much media would it take to strip my car? This will cost $1500 have the pro's do it and that's money that could go to other things.

I lean towards the soda blasting option myself. I have been quoted $1100 or so for a complete exterior door jambs including doors, hood etc... Eastwood is one company of many that sell these blasters as well as dual soda/sand blaster. One option would be to buy, use and then sell the blaster when finished. Another possibility would be to contract a soda blast company to do your car and other friends cars if applicable for a combo reduced overall price.

I had my 240Z soda blasted for $800. He did the entire exterior and the engine compartment. He said it would be another $500 to do the under carriage.

Came out great. Does not deform the metal in any way. Another advantage is that the soda film left behind will prevent flash rusing as long as you keep it dry. You also need to wash the car extremely well with "Holdtight 102" before primer otherwise it won't stick.

Pete

Ya sand blasting heats up the panels and warps them. Plastic media dose not do that and soda blasting is bad if you don't get it all off it will cause the paint to peal and it does not happen right away. This happen mostly in spots that are hard to get to. I hope this does not happen to any of you that went the soda blasting route. This is what I was told buy a company called ProStrip and they do great work. They wont do soda blasting. My car was Z barted in and out and the price I was quoted was blasting in 3 levels paint bondo and tar then any rust. I all ready own a blaster so all I would need to buy is the media.

i had my car stolen years back...they lit the front end on fire...there was melted plastic and $hit everywhere...i went and rented a huge diesel compressor...towed behind the truck....it was like 150bux for blater, helmet and respirator, and compressor...and that was for like 3 hours. if your car was ready to go before hand...like 300 bux plus media....not bad. the nozzle was over an inch in diameter...and took everything off....i think becuase of the higher volume i didn't have to focus on a spot for too long and in return did not warp anything.