HybridZ

Head work advice needed! calling cylinder head experts

Sparky

Hello everyone,

So I bought a new (to me) car with a "Rebuilt" engine only to find that the high compression pistons hit the cylinder head. The head has been removed and the offending bit marked as seen below:

picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1347

So as you can see the dome in the piston hits the head ever so slightly, it's not so bad that the engine cannot be turned over by hand but there is a noticeable resistance when doing so. Others with a similar problem resolve the issue by reshaping the chamber like so:

picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1349

But I think that that might be a bit aggressive and that a more thoughtful approach to combustion may yield better results. By reshaping the chamber to promote or entice a controlled flame spread and in keeping with the somewhat "hemispherical" nature of this head like so (red line is material removal, blue line is slightly repositioned ridge)

picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1348

Am I just talking nonsense here? I'm imagining that as the intake charge ignites it travels away from the spark plug aided by the angle of the plug and the existing ridge and "swirls" counter clockwise to the exhaust valve. By aggressively reshaping or removing this ridge as shown in the second picture you begin to lose the benifit of having it, by reshaping to keep as much of that ridge as possible I can only hope to maintain the entent of the original design.

Obviously i'm not experienced in this field of expertise and so I ask the experts here for opinion on both my approach, and for advice on how to achieve my goals, IE best tools for the job (grits, drums, cones, process) and wether or not post process check up..aka CC'ing is an absolute necessity. I'm not after peak performance, I just want to get the car running and driving in a reliable enough state so that It can take over for my current daily driver.

Pictures of the aforementioned car will come shortly, in the mean time I'm hoping to get a good foundation of advice so that I may proceed before weeks end.

Thanks.

• Administrators

... Others with a similar problem resolve the issue by reshaping the chamber like so:

picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1349

Thanks.

That mod is the route I would take.

amazon. com has a book " How to modify your Nissan and Datsun OHC engine" has all the info you will need!! Under 20 bucks if I remember correctly.

You might take a look at the pictures again... NOT a Datsun cylinder head, i.e. that book would do him NO good here!

Thanks everyone, bought a new cable for my rotary tool now all I need is the sanding drums...

The pistons:

http://forums.hybridz.org/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1362

How imperative is it that I CC the heads after the fact?

And as far as the Ew...it's german comment, you should see the car! Talk about nasty:

picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1363

That's all I'm willing to show of this beast until it runs and drives ;)

Thanks everyone, bought a new cable for my rotary tool now all I need is the sanding drums...

The pistons:

http://forums.hybridz.org/picture.php?albumid=3&pictureid=1362

How imperative is it that I CC the heads after the fact?

I see your problem. It appears someone has bolted a grand piano on the top of your german pistons.

And Yes. CC them to make sure they're all the same.