HybridZ

Where/how to buy engineering modeling software

trwebb26

I'm not sure about pro-e but I think solidworks can be bought through the software's publisher. Either way I would contact them first go from there... and yeah it wont be cheap :)

I just stay after work and use our network license... or use my school's license since I'm still a student there... not for long though :(

I'm very familiar with Pro/Engineer (I use it at work), but I'd settle for learning Solidworks.

Youd settle lol. Solidworks IMO is much better, I had to learn Pro/E over the summer for my job and once you get the hang of it its a good program but it is not very user friendly...solidworks has got Pro/E beat in most areas.

If you want to use it to design and sell you own parts, I think it would be smart to buy a license... but its gonna be thousands of dollars Im going to guess around 5 but it looks like you have to get a quote. I use student versions of both programs, I was lucky enough to get them that dont require registering with a server so they are on my comp for good :) If I was going to start a side business though I would purchase the software.

Youd settle lol. Solidworks IMO is much better, I had to learn Pro/E over the summer for my job and once you get the hang of it its a good program but it is not very user friendly...solidworks has got Pro/E beat in most areas.

I started working with Solidworks 2007 it was really powerful, easy to use, and organized. Then my school "upgraded" its license to the 2008 version, with the all new UI, and I still havent recovered from the change. For me, its a struggle to do anything in that mess. In contrast I've used Pro-E during my internships at two different engineering companies and after the initial "shock" have grown to prefer it by far. I will agree that its not as initially user-friendly to a completely new user but my experience with Solidworks 2008 left me a bit disappointed.

http://www.hawkridgesys.com/

Last time I bought a seat, it was a $2200 one time fee. If you want the support it's another $1200 a year. That support allows upgrading your origional seat to the latest version, so effectively you could buy the current SW for $2200 now, and get the support NEXT year, and have the latest versions then.

Hawk Ridge was good to deal with, I've used them on more than one occasion with more than one company.

I want to start designing parts and *cough* systems *cough* to sell (business plan and LLC are in the plans) I need something I can generate prints with. I also want the ability to do pretty complex FEA including structural, modal, and CFD as well as some more basic mechanism analyses. My experience with student editions is that they say they are "full featured"... and they are for the most part. The student edition of Pro/E I used to have had a pretty serious limitation on the number of elements that it would allow you to mesh and run in Mechanica. I'm probably better off just buying something.