HybridZ

Suggestions? 83 280ZX Turbo Running Rough When Cold

pwill

Any help would be appreciated. This is my son's car and he is taking over working thru the problems. He has an FSM & Haynes but not a lot of auto experience.

Symptoms are that when cold, the engine hesitates / stumbles when taking off from a dead stop. Get above a certain RPM and it seems OK. When warmed up it seems to run OK -- occasionally it will die when coming to a stop (push in clutch, let of gas and coast to a stop -- it has died a few times like this).

What has been done is the following.

Replace CHTS (verified working per FSM).

Replace plugs

Clean / flow test injectors, replace one bad.

Splice in new injector connectors.

Replace plugs

Replace dizzy cap / rotor

Verified O2 sensor (mechanic did but son is going to check LED).

He is going to clean / verify the ECU connections and start working thru the FSM diagnostics. Does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat

The air regulator is the main item controlling cold start idle. Have you checked it? Also the 280zx turbo ecu harness connections are known to build up corrosion. I also had a problem w/ the bottom 2 black (ground) wires on the lowest ecu plug. About 4 inches in there is a large ground wire junction that was put together half assed by Nissan. Cut and replace it. Those are the grounds for major sensors.

I would start with the air regulator like nismopick said. I doubt you are having connection problems since when the car is warm and when over a certain RPM its fine. Can you tell us if that "certain RPM" puts the car into boost and or zero psi? My eclipse had the same symptoms and turned out to be an intake leak. After you check the air regulator it wouldn't hurt to check for leaks.

http://www.vfaq.com/index-main.html

tbs

• 1 month later...