HybridZ

Please read this - Chemical Cleaner/Welding Issue

HIWAY ONE

The most important parts of a good weld are:

1. Proper fitup - no gaps wider then the width of the fiiller wire.

2. Cleanliness.

Use whatever you can to get the parts clean - really clean - and then do a final wipe down with either denatured alcohol as mentioned above or Acetone (which is what I use).

And when I mean clean, I mean:

No paint

No plating

No powerdcoating

No dirt

No oils

No oxides (physically clean aluminum with a clean stainless wire brush)

No burrs

Zinc fumes cause metal fume fever which isn't life threatening but makes the next day suck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

One thing about acetone, make sure you don't use a bottle with a really small nipple, that continuously pisses out acetone right next to where you are welding, even after you put it down and let it sit a minute...

Don't ask how I know that.

Zinc chills are exciting! not really but they are interesting.

Proper ventilation is very very important when welding. If you can't get a big ass fan blowing on or around you (not so much to blow shielding gas away, but you get the idea) then a respirator is almost a necessity.

What I don't like about weld-through primers is their name. It implies that it's safe. I mean, it's sold on the shelf, and should be welded right through, right? I don't know any welders that use a respirator on a regular basis. Even if it generally won't kill you, it's not good for you, and there's always a chance of a bad reaction.

Welding is 95% prep and 5% welding, if even that. I have friends call me all the time to weld something, and I tell them "Okay, I'll come right over when you're ready, here's the checklist..." Seems like nobody realizes the work involved when working with anything except virgin material.

-Eric

Actually.....you will have to search a bit nowadays to find 1,1,1 trichloroethane any more.

The red can of "brakleen" by CRC is still (I think) the trichloroethane formula.

Most brake cleaners have gone to a different formula.........which now burns like crazy unlike tricholorethane........which I used to use to put out fires when welding.

Another warning should be that many forumlations of brake cleaner since 1990 or so are very flammable.

Of course....I don't use argon but rather C02 for my shielding gas but the warning is duly noted.