HybridZ

Engine swap NEED HELP

ok for starters heres the car info

Body - 97 Camaro2.gif V6

Engine - 93 Corvette2.gif LT1

ECM and wiring - 94 Z28

to start i have a 07 camaro v6 and i bought a 94 Z28 for the engine to do a swap. Long story short i had problems with the engine and it broke down. so i bought a 93 corvette engine and ecm. The place that installed the engine disassembled everything. here is all i know. I think they used the corvette block heads cam, etc bottom half. They used the 94 Z28 intake manifold fuel rails throttle body, etc top and front half.

Now for the problems....

The engine does run, however not well. It doesn't have the power it seems like it should. The check engine light comes one when you crank the car however if the car is in drive and at a red light, the check engine light cuts off. The electric fans also kind of correspond to this. They cut on when you crank the engine and cut off at a red light but cut back on when you take off again. I think the issues are coming from the ecm and wiring. anyone who has any experience with ecm issues or any suggestions please email me OSearcy4@aol.com. I just want this car to run and run strong. I have dumped a lot of money into a good engine and it just doesn't go like it should. I can't get a code reader to read the ecm because i dont think the plug is wired right. i have both the obd1 and obd2 plugs and i've tried both of them. Anyone who has a shop near Auburn, AL please email me also i would be willing to drive close by just to have someone look at it. thanks.

progress.gif

I'd say you need an ECM flash/tuner to make sure thats working correct. Figure out whats throwing your "check engine" code. The fans could be bad wiring to them causing the to "cut in and out." However that could also be resolved with the ECM and wiring check. I don't know of any good shops, but I know the feeling when the shop was supposed to do the work, did a crappy job. I'd take it to someone else, or send the ECM off to a tuner. Also check out the thirdgen forums and ls1tech, both have a lot of information on your exact swap. Good luck!!

I don't understand how that was not a real answer?? But anyways... Maybe you should start with trying to figure out why you can't read the computer with a scanner. Whatever car the computer came from, look at the wiring diagram for that car and see how the communication wire is hooked up. If you've got it all wired up correctly and still can't communicate then I would start looking for a new computer. But make sure that whatever sensors / distributor / whatever you've got in there match what the computer you're going to pick up. Example: I would not buy a PCM for a 2004 Avalanche to replace the PCM for my 02 LS1. (Even though they're both gen3 motors and the PCM's look / have almost the same harness connector.)