HybridZ

looking for radiator swap

search! this topic is covered more then a few times a month.

I've only sen two results from searching this topic....

280zx and some Camaro rad.

I was at NAPA today and went through thier rad book and found for more possible rads, that were the way I want, aluminium, and crossflow. I'm sure I could have found plenty more in Brass/copper, or top down flow, but didn't look at those options. I had the book open for about 2 hours looking at pictures and dimensions. I need to do more research on each of the possibles, and see which one will be "best" for my application. All required fabricating new brackets and adapting the rad hoses though.

I've only seen two results from searching this topic....

280zx and some Camaro rad.

then your not looking hard enough, as there are a ton more solutions then just two radiators. just order a radiator to your dimensions and weld on the mount or fabricate bolt on mounts.

then your not looking hard enough, as there are a ton more solutions then just two radiators. just order a radiator to your dimensions and weld on the mount or fabricate bolt on mounts.

:facepalm:

I didn't mention any aftermarket solutions, because well, they are generally out of my price range, hence why I spent two hours at NAPA tonight looking through a rad supplier catalog. Also it doesn't sound like the OP is looking for an aftermarket solution either, hence why he suggested the S130 and Z31 as examples of possible solutions. ;)

I plan to "order a rad to my dimentions", it will just happen to be for a different car completly, then make my own mounts, but again, the only rads that seem to come up seem to be the Camaro rad and S130 rad.

Why is it so hard to just post about the "ton more solutions", instead of pulling this "search harder" BS? :icon56:

:facepalm:

I didn't mention any aftermarket solutions, because well, they are generally out of my price range, hence why I spent two hours at NAPA tonight looking through a rad supplier catalog. Also it doesn't sound like the OP is looking for an aftermarket solution either, hence why he suggested the S130 and Z31 as examples of possible solutions. ;)

I plan to "order a rad to my dimentions", it will just happen to be for a different car completly, then make my own mounts, but again, the only rads that seem to come up seem to be the Camaro rad and S130 rad.

Why is it so hard to just post about the "ton more solutions", instead of pulling this "search harder" BS? :icon56:

because this forum isnt meant to spoon feed information, that and I'm gonna waste my energy typing out a huge list that many people before me have been typing for the past 9 years on this site.

Here is an easy solution: take a tape measure, take dimensions of the rad support and go to the junkyard for a few hours matching them to other vehicles, as a matte of fact I'm running a 4 core cross flow copper radiator out of a mid 80's chevy truck, just one of the many possibility's with a little effort.

because this forum isnt meant to spoon feed information, that and I'm gonna waste my energy typing out a huge list that many people before me have been typing for the past 9 years on this site.

Here is an easy solution: take a tape measure, take dimensions of the rad support and go to the junkyard for a few hours matching them to other vehicles, as a matte of fact I'm running a 4 core cross flow copper radiator out of a mid 80's chevy truck, just one of the many possibility's with a little effort.

You seem to have a hard time understanding what you're reading.

I have spent time at the wreckers, that removes every single rad from every vehicle so that was a waste of time.

I've spent time at NAPA going through the rad catalog, which was WAY more helpful than this site has been. I have 4 possible solutions to swap in, I just need to research the cooling capacity and designs a bit more, before I decide on which one to go with. Two are, or look to be "double pass", third one is a 2 row, but is kinda small, the forth is a single row and single pass. Two would also require pressuried surge tanks.

...And hours searching this forum, which came up with two non-aftermarket results.

Seems I've spent a lot time searching already. ;)

Why is people think that "use the search" is the reply for every new thread on this site? :icon56: Posting a list of possible rads is just helpful, and can confirm what someone else is thinking of using or can bring up things to watch out for when trying a rad or other item that someone else has tried. Worse yet, people don't seem to understand the words strung together: I-have-already-searched-and-came-up-with-either-no-results-or-not-an-option-I-like,-what-are-other-possible-options?

Guest Rolling Parts

I just need to research the cooling capacity and designs a bit more, before I decide on which one to go with. ...worse yet, people don't seem to understand the words strung together: I-have-already-searched-and-came-up-with-either-no-results-or-not-an-option-I-like,-what-are-other-possible-options?

Just get a stock replacement and be done.

Since your words never mentioned that you are INCREASING cooling demands then get a stock radiator and that is DESIGNED for your stock application.

No reason to add weight and complexity unless needed...

Just get a stock replacement and be done.

Since your words never mentioned that you are INCREASING cooling demands then get a stock radiator and that is DESIGNED for your stock application.

No reason to add weight and complexity unless needed...

Well, for myself, I'm looking to do a few things...

Reduce weight, hence the desire for aluminum. ;)

Increase cooling capacity, because well, why not? ;)

My rad is on it's way out now, so I want to have a solution in mind or even the parts BEFORE that happens.

BTW, my car is not very stock at all, hence why I'm looking for a different rad. Figured that would be obvious but I guess that I need to go through a check list of details about my car, and provide information about me previously seraching in order to get a responce with information that I or the OP, or anyone searching later on can use.

I have no problems with cooling now, especially since I added the second fan e-fan, but again, I have my reasons.

Why is it so hard to just get help here or a good discussion on possible soulutions?

Guest Rolling Parts

Why is it so hard to just get help here or a good discussion on possible soulutions?

I believe that the reason is that it's hard to give a helpful solution to a non-technical question like "are there other radiators that might work better".

I think that the way to stimulate a technical discussion in a technical forum is to ask a technical question that can be analyzed for the application. Without a technical question then the discussion degrades to this point of nonsense rather quickly.

Here is a simple Google search if he wants to do preliminary research for his requirements. There are topics on cost, availability, performance, materials, and theory: http://www.google.com/search?q=280Z+radiator&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

with bolt in top and bottom mounts almost any radiator with the same dimensions will fit. hell right now I'm testing several spare aluminum radiators from my auto-x car. not to mention the company's that sell aftermarket radiators for z cars.

I'm not gonna argue with someone who isnt going to utilize his resources properly.

Summit sells a griffen aluminum radiator for about $180 but you'd have to weld tabs.

I see these on ebay all the time- this one comes with fans

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Aluminum-3-Row-71-72-73-74-Datsun-240z-260z-Radiator_W0QQitemZ110430660209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b62e2671&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

But the stock radiator in good shape should do fine for a relatively stock motor. I have an L28 flat top P90 engine with a header in my 240 and even on hot days (90+ here in CA) it cools my engine fine.

• 1 year later...

I hate to revive a year old thread, but I'm also hoping to find a

candidate for a swap.

I have a bone stock 76 that split a seam in the stock radiator this

morning. This is my daily driver, so I need to get it fixed quick.

A stock replacement will take a couple days according to the local

parts stores.

I would much rather get a newer crossflow, but I would settle for anything

that gets me moving sooner.

I hate to revive a year old thread, but I'm also hoping to find a

candidate for a swap.

I have a bone stock 76 that split a seam in the stock radiator this

morning. This is my daily driver, so I need to get it fixed quick.

A stock replacement will take a couple days according to the local

parts stores.

I would much rather get a newer crossflow, but I would settle for anything

that gets me moving sooner.

Radiators from 70-78 will interchange fairly easily

http://www.picknpull.com/check_inventory.aspx

You could also use the BASE (not HD) radiator for 1984-1986 V8 Camaro’s, but you will need to make brackets to mount it.

I was at the Pick-n-pull in rocklin over the weekend and the radiator in the 75 280z was not worth buying.

I finally found details about the Camaro swap, eight pages in on

a google search. Since this is my only transportation, and it is

stranded at work, I am going to go with a stock replacement. It

turns our Pep Boys can get the radiator overnight, and for about

the same price as the Camaro unit.

Oddly the lower radiator hose looked like it would be harder to

get, with the initial delivery estimate of almost a week. I lucked

out when the clerk we the extra mile and found one at a competitor and

bought it so I could get everything tomorrow.

I really appreciate the quick and specific answers.

For others who may be looking for options, the Jags That Run

site has an excellent write up on radiator choices and installation.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-DatsunZ-Cooling-System.pdf