HybridZ

79 truck motor

SloMo_260

I have a 79/auto..really just needs an overhaul...im going to swap out the stock manny and get a four barrel for it..is this a decent starting point? i got it for free so i figured what the heck.basically just a straight swap..no performance mods to it..just a refresher to the motor...i think they are rated at maybe 170 hp, but with the manny, carb and true dual i should be a bit over 200 (hopefully)...maybe drop in a mild cam..

Real question is if i should bother with an old truck motor.

dads a welder..so mounts will be easy with the writeup the other member did..

thanks guys...i do enjoy the search button..

I would def. Say it is worth it there is a million things you can do later if you want more power and worst case senario you get a new motor down the road once you get it in the first time the hard part is done just make sure you use a good trans ( ie don't use the truck trans)

I would say it is worth it. You can't beat the price for free. Make sure that you send the block and heads to a good machine shop. Have a valve job done on the heads and the block hot tanked and everything checked. This way you will know if you have a good starting point. Then go ahead and get yourself a decent (flat tappet cam), intake and carb. Then down the road if you want, you can chage out your heads without pulling the engine. Or you can take your time and build yourself a good powerful engine and then swap out engines.

Like ( joesphg ) said, the hard part is already done.

Like ( joesphg ) said, the hard part is already done.

If you have a free motor, use it (if its any good) I see so many people get caught up in being a perfectionist with their project and never finish it because of time and money. It helps to see some things completed a little bit a long the way. Get the motor checked out put a few bills in it if necessary and drop the thing in. If you need more power its never to late to up grade. Heads take a few hours to install same thing with a cam. I have even changed a crank without pulling the motor (it was an emergency and I would not recommend doing that). getting a major swap running for the first time is a lot of work by itself don't bog your self down with perfection right a way, you will be happier in the long run with a project that needs some tuning than a half built $4000 engine sitting in your garage. IMO

I agree with josephg. Once the install is done, a person can either warm up the truck motor or wait till you find a decent deal on a roller motor and hop it up. That way, you can get the hard part done first and enjoy your z while you build your perfect motor. At least, that is what my thoughts are for mine(going through a divorce, i think. So i had to put mine on the back burner for now.). The late 70's 302 have more torque than the L28 did, right? I know the horsepower was about the same. Any takes on the C4? I could use a beer. LOL :)

my thoughts exactly..i was thinking of having the car blasted because of the surface rust..but i think im just going to keep it ratty....i have a machinest to help with the motor so it wont cost me too much. dont want to spend a lot into getting it on the road..i just want it to move :)..as for power..its a v8..so many possibilities. thanks guys for all the info and help! now i need to find what 5spd i want behind it!

Slo Mo-

Go for it! I've got a 350 from a '78 C-10 in my 260....runs great and reliable as a brick. Yeah, the stock HP ain't awesome, but it's pretty darn torquey. I've spruced mine up with headers, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, and Moroso super HEI. May eventually add a cam, but it runs great for now.

Good luck and be sure to post your results.

jhm

Guest Gr8White
do it once and do it right, use a roller lifter motor with a cam and some GT40 heads.

A stock 79 302 has the same power rating as the l28.

Amen....You can really get the used 5.0 HO motors with 5 speeds cheap......If you shop and take your time there are steals to be had....Of the roller 5.0 HO's, the GT-40 head explorer motors are the choice powerplant, but you'll pay more...decent heads and an excellent platform. These motors had auto trannies however (I think, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) so you would have to source a tranny.

Free is hard to argue with but the performance will be very limited and by the time you "upgrade" to a set of good heads, roller cam etc, you have already exceeded the price of the used HO motor and tranny.

If you want a 5 speed, the T-5 out of the Mustang is hard to beat for this application. People bash these for weakness, but it's hard abuse and missed 3rd gear powershifts that kills these trannies, not a weakness of the design. If you keep the torque in the 300 ft/lb range it will live. It's a smooth transmission and the aftermarket support/parts are endless.

Anybody know the torque rating of a 79 engine? If it wasn't at least 250 ft/lbs. I wouldn't think the minimal performance gain would be worth the trouble.

i just read an article with a 93 lx stang with 260tq and 240 hp running mid 13's..so i think this motor in my car will be more than enough fun..even if i just refresh the motor and drop in a bigger carb, larger exhaust..specially if drop in some 4:10's..:)..i dont have the money to drop on a motor up front..i can buy the parts individually tho!!..im just waiting for a engine hoist and to finish payin my deposit on my new place and ill be getting this show on the road.

this is my "RAT"..wont be much different when done..:) i want a rat..im going the primer red/brown color.

l_0309d2b89cbd49a596a8b8cdf7beaaa9.jpg

and my free gt rims im swapping onto it

l_d7f30da77ba84075b7e65e930832aa62.jpg

Guest Gr8White
i just read an article with a 93 lx stang with 260tq and 240 hp running mid 13's..

Yes, but I'm sure this figure was to the wheels, that equates to 307 hp at the crank assuming 18% power loss through the drivetrain. You would need about 190 RWHP in a 2600 lb. car to do the same and I doubt even with the basic mods you are planning that you will see 190 to the wheels, probably more like 150. In a 2600 lb. car that equates to roughly a 15.0 pass. Squeeze a bit more out and with traction it would probably dip into the 14s

That being said, my opinion doesn't mean squat. You'll have fun with the V8 regardless of what it runs and it's hard to beat a V8 for the grin factor. Good luck, keep it light and it ought to run good.

Guest Gr8White

Man, I really hate to rain on your parade but those wheels aren't going to work without some significant mods. 5 lug conversion needed all around and the Mustang width and offsets/back spacing don't work without coilovers. Even then your tire width will be limited to probably a 225 or so....You were talking about budget being a concern and that 5 lug coilover conversion can be a budget buster....

FYI there isnt much difference in a Mustang HO engine. You can use the truck engine and upgrade it later. I would get a set of HO heads and a similar grind cam while you have the engine apart that way when you upgrade it the engine will be very close to an upgraded HO. Dont bother using the trucks heads or exhaust though. You can even upgrade the non-roller block to a roller block with a kit from summit.

By using a roller HO engine there are some other hassles you need to address like the distributor gear and such. Im using a HO roller and I would rather have a non roller 4bbl engine.....