HybridZ

350z Dash into a 280zx, Thoughts???

Docmartin

I have two projects ('78z and a '82zx) and with the 280zx I picked up for $600 at an impound yard and I am considering trying to install a 350z dashboard assembly, center console, and 350z seats with my full interior make over. If your asking why the dash and center console, its because the original dash literally falls part when you touch it, finding a replacement just costs too much, I think the 350z dashboard is sweet (car's OK), and I just want to do something different. If your wondering, I'm keeping my '78 z stock for now.

Right now I'm pulling out the old interior, working on the body a little, and researching everything I can about the 350z dash to see if this can be done. I would really appreciate any feedback, discussions, thread links, etc... to help me get ready to do this. Anybody else ever try this??? I think I saw a link of it done on a 280z, but could not find anything on a 280zx.

Once I get past the planning and prep work for this project, I'll start posting pictures to document my progress(or total failure). Either way, it should be fun.

Thanks

I think if you are willing to spend the time/money and effort, you should go right ahead and do this. I am by no means a purist and also like the 350z interior and think this would look great swapped. With that being said, I have certainly seen the 350 interior swap done on an s30, (look through MSA Z car nationals photo's for a visual) and have no idea the size differences or restraints the s130 would have as I neither own one or have seen this done. My suggestion would be to measure and research as much as possible. If you do decide to do it, document and share pics of your process....

I think you should go for it but your reasoning that a 280ZX dash costs too much is a little off. It will take you a lot more time and $$$ to put in a 350Z interior.

You are correct, but what I meant to say is if I have to spend a lot for a dash, why not try this.

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I'm just research the dash, center console, and the seats, but as this project progresses, I might look take a look and other sections of the interior (door panel). I'll try and gets some before pictures up before I start too much deconstruction. IT's all part of the research and planning process anyway. I'm just new to posting my adventures for others to see. I just decided I may need some help from you guys as I worked through it so I signed up.