HybridZ

Z's not going into gear

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. i figure sense you ALL are Z guys, you could help me out. I recently put a new Centerforce clutch into my stock 280Z. After the install, it didnt go in gear, a buddy of mine and me bled the system and got it to where the Z would go into gear and get it home. It ran good for a couple of weeks, and eventually didnt go into gear anymore, got to the point to where if i let of the brake, the car would roll when in gear on a flat surface. So, i went to the nearest auto store, and bought a new Slave cylinder. That did NOTHING. So i bled it more, and more and more and more. Eventually put a new clutch master on, checked for leaks, or air holes. Pulled the tranny BACK out and put my 4 speed back in, while it was out i pulled the clutch back out and re-installed it.

It still sits in my garage, and i can not for the life of me figure out what

the problem is. Anyone have any idea's??

Thanks

did you verify that the hydraulic system is working like it should? is the slave cylinder fully extending? is the clutch pedal adjusted correctly? was your throw out bearing tight? did you install it correctly?

When you adjust the pedal, thats just under that dash correct?

How tight should the TO bearing be?

yep, right where the pedal mates with the rod on the master cylinder, the farther out its adjusted, the more the slave cylinder is pushed out.

Alright, its not that then, i have it as far as it'll go, i put it all the way in, had no pedal. messed with it inbetween and nothing. I'll have to pull everything out, make sure i got the right parts, and make sure im doing it right.

You may need a longer thrust bearing carrier. Did you measure the height difference between the two clutch housings? if one is higher than the other, it has to be compensated in the bearing carrier. Sounds like it's not going far enough to dis-engage the clutch. Or a longer rod where the slave cylinder is. Just a thought.

You may need a longer thrust bearing carrier. Did you measure the height difference between the two clutch housings? if one is higher than the other, it has to be compensated in the bearing carrier. Sounds like it's not going far enough to dis-engage the clutch. Or a longer rod where the slave cylinder is. Just a thought.

This would be my guess too.

Phar

^^^^+3. We encounter the same issues with the C-series trannies for MR2's. Generally, performance clutches need a longer clutch slave cylinder pushrod to fully disengage the clutch. If this is really the case for you, a machine shop can usually custom make you a longer rod. www.speed-source.net makes it for Toyotas. If you can find a shop to make you one, maybe you can ask these guys.

^^^^+3. We encounter the same issues with the C-series trannies for MR2's. Generally, performance clutches need a longer clutch slave cylinder pushrod to fully disengage the clutch. If this is really the case for you, a machine shop can usually custom make you a longer rod. www.speed-source.net makes it for Toyotas. If you can find a shop to make you one, maybe you can ask these guys.

I've thought about that, I will definatly have to try that! thanks alot guys!

ALOT of help in trouble shooting!!