HybridZ

Hood Vents for Cooling-PICS

240Z Turbo

I have done 2 things to lower the temperature of the engine and to provide better cooling. The 1st was to intall a vent over the turbo setup. I purchased a Stainless Steel Vent from a boat supplier for $20 and riveted it to the hood. You can see the heat escaping when at a light. The next was to cut a slot above the intercooler so fresh air can make its way to the radiator. I will make ducting soon to further increase radiator flow.

hoodcut.jpg

hoodcut2.jpg

What kind of tool is the best to cut into sheet metal like that? Any tricks to keeping it really strait?

Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the front. Do you think you will be making a scoop by hand (fiber glass?), or will you finish it off with more of that SS vent stuff?

Guest Anonymous

Metal cutting jigsaw, or if your lucky a plasma cutter. But Terrys right, the nibbler works well as does the power shear (looks like a drill motor with tin snips on the front sort of) for single thicknesses. I used a jig saw when I cut out for the cowl hood and I was able to cut through everything by going slow and minding not to bind the blade. Cut off wheels work, but IMHO put alot of heat on the surface and tend to warp thin metals.

Regards,

Lone

Man I like the stainless hood vent from the boat! I have been trying to figure out what vents to use on my hood to make it a little different. I even thought that I could get me a pair of those 70's model Trans Am or Camaro side vents for my fenders! sweeeeet :D

I'm kinda afraid of making a crooked cut though and thus ruining my hood. emo.gif

I to can not wait to see what you are gonna do up front in that big ole square hole.

man, forgot to check this post. To cut the hole, place masking tape on the area in question to prevent scratching of the paint and chipping along the cut edge. Now, trace with pen the area you want to cut. I then drilled a hole with a sheet metal bit in order to get the jigsaw blade in there. My neighbor has a nice (very expensive) saw that I borrowed with some new bits. Get a blade designed for thin metal and it cuts very nicely. It will not warp, snag or distort if done properly. Took about 45min start-finish taking my sweet time (drinking a beer)! The slot in front routes air over the intercooler straight to the radiator. I am going to build a CF duct below the surface with carbon fiber trim along the outside edge. It does not need a scoop as air will be forced in when driving since the slot is on the angle of the hood. A WRX scoop will not work directly as the front of the hood has plenty of contour in the middle. A hand fabbed piece is required.

Guest Anonymous

I saw one of those WRX hoods the other day, that scoop would look kinda wicked on top of a Z above the windshield with the right body kit. :D

Regards,

Lone

Here are some pics of my vents, the car is still under construction though. Copy and paste, just remove the space after the h.

h ttp://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL4/90624/149261/9155473.ptp

h ttp://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL4/90624/149261/9155467.ptp

Guest Anonymous

I like the ducting 280zone

I was planning on using z3 (or similar) louvered side vents, I've seen it on a Z and I think it looks great. Kinda reminds me of gills on a shark :Dbonk.gif

Well hey, I'm not going so far as a C3 'ray...

I'll have pics of my custom work this summer

-980mak rockon.gif