HybridZ

How should I value my S-130. I want to buy an S-30 or S-130T,

jays280zx

What up, S130's!

So i have a 1979 280zx, that is my daily driver.

When i bought it, it barely ran, but i replaced the fuel injectors, the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel sender unit in the gas tank. I started her and now shes a beast. The car sat for about 5 years in a driveway until the PO bought it and did nothing with it except let it sit again for about 4 months.

The car is the base model with roll-up windows, ONE power mirror, an aftermarket tape deck, and (electronic) external oil pump, and 75,000 ORIGINAL miles. The car is brown (horribly faded with barley any clear), a little bubbling around the windshield, but not other rust. It has a 5 speed manual trans and is a reliable car. What is this worth, b/c i wanted to buy either a first gen z or a 280zx turbo.

Thanks, and sorry for the long read :)

Pictures?

If the car is a good daily driver, visually ok (not mismatched, rusty spots), and has an reasonable interior I can see it going in the $1500 range if your lucky. I see ZXs as I described in the 1000-1500 range alot. Remember these cars arent worth much.

Also, that is not a long post... when you have to scroll several times to keep reading the post, thats long. :)

Pictures?

If the car is a good daily driver, visually ok (not mismatched, rusty spots), and has an reasonable interior I can see it going in the $1500 range if your lucky. I see ZXs as I described in the 1000-1500 range alot. Remember these cars arent worth much.

Also, that is not a long post... when you have to scroll several times to keep reading the post, thats long. :)

I personally think that the zx's are worth as much as an old z that sounds like a tin can when you close the doors. By the way, there are plenty of low milage zx's out there that are worth plenty! It all depends on "who" wants "what". You will learn from here and there that there isn't much luv for the zx's, only when the "z" guys want a zxt for it's "donor" abilities.

I personally think that the zx's are worth as much as an old z that sounds like a tin can when you close the doors. By the way, there are plenty of low milage zx's out there that are worth plenty! It all depends on "who" wants "what". You will learn from here and there that there isn't much luv for the zx's, only when the "z" guys want a zxt for it's "donor" abilities.

Yeah thing is there arent many people like you. :)

Guest Rolling Parts
i wanted to buy either a first gen z or a 280zx turbo.

Why not turbo the 1979?

That car is lightest 280ZX (lighter than a typical 280Z as well), you can paint it any way you want, you say it's rust free, and it's already paid for.

It could be a fun drivable project car.

• Administrators

Thread title of "What do you think guys?" is vague, title edited. :wink:

Titling your threads;

In the New Members section of this fourm, vague titles such as “hi” or “I’m new here” are fine. Out in the main forum that is NOT acceptable. Please post a subject title befitting your question or topic of discussion. Vague pointless titles only serve to muddle up the data base when others use the search function. We don’t have the time to go and edit all of them so as we come across vaguely titled threads, those threads will get tossed in the shed.

If you made an attempt to title your subject appropriately and misspelled or need to make an adjustment to your title, contact an Admin via Private Message and one of us will be more than happy to edit your title for you, but please make an effort to title your thread appropriately.

Remember, the search function is only as good as your title and your post body, including the spelling. wink.gif

Please read this link in its entirety, including #3;

Click ME and please read.

Thank you,

Paul Ruschman

HybridZ Staff

3. Please make a good effort to post a topic "subject" title that is pertinent and descriptive of the subject that you want to convey. When you post a thread with a title like “I need help” this makes it harder for the next guy to find what he is looking for when they try to search the database. It is impossible to know what that thread is about so it must either be skipped over or opened to check the content. The title of your post is not the place to be VAGUE!!!

personally about $5-6K tops for that car. It doesnt matter how much money you dump into it, or how many piles of receipts you have, you will only get what someone is willing to pay. (and rebello doesnt mean squat to anyone who has never looked into road racing BMW or z engines)

I understand that but i really cant understand 5-6k for a zx....if my dad sold it for that id kill him. But yet turds like this "factory 2+2 slushbox turd-slow" get 7k bids? Really would you really rather not have a quicker stroker, only 2 seats, and a five speed not to mention all the upgrades and looks 100000X's better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-DATSUN-280ZX-2-2-TURBO-T-TOPS-RED-INTERIOR-38K-MI_W0QQitemZ400074131572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item5d2646c874&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Oh well thats why zx's make better dailys, they are nicer on the inside and alot more quiet.

I understand that but i really cant understand 5-6k for a zx....if my dad sold it for that id kill him. But yet turds like this "factory 2+2 slushbox turd-slow" get 7k bids? Really would you really rather not have a quicker stroker, only 2 seats, and a five speed not to mention all the upgrades and looks 100000X's better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-DATSUN-280ZX-2-2-TURBO-T-TOPS-RED-INTERIOR-38K-MI_W0QQitemZ400074131572QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item5d2646c874&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Oh well thats why zx's make better dailys, they are nicer on the inside and alot more quiet.

Yeah not a great example. That looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. As mentioned, the person paying $7500 isnt looking for a "fast" car or something thats really decked out with performance parts.

I could understand that car going for $7.5k (all options, all original with 38k miles) but not everyone wants a z to be a sports car, look at any z from 1981+ (on a side note a N/A stroker really isnt much after driving one with a turbo.)

Haha i have to just laugh at this...have you ever ridden in a 300whp stroker as well as turbo? Not even close, the stroker makes power off the line and the turbo has to spool. Now if i was building a car its all about what you want but when he only paid 1k for that stroker motor you sure as hell cant compare a 1k turbo to that power level, much less last as long as the stroker (turbo seals ect). I just rode in a friends 340whp honda hatch (gsr turbo on 15#) and that car is a totally different story between a stock 2+2 auto zx. But i can say that my old 78 (poor chaps been chopped up and put into 3 cars lol) with suspension, bolt ons (header, intake, pallnet rail, fpr, and some timing), as well as a dual friction/fidanza 10.5 flywheel combo smoked the crap(2-4cars) out of zx's on 12-15#'s and murdered a 300zx on 12#(like 2-3 busses)...from a dead stop, ofcourse from a roll it wasnt as bad (maybe 1 car better for them) but it still wasnt close and i was N/A! I've had turbo cars but there is nothing like a N/A (or supercharged) car, where all of the power is THERE when you put your foot to the floor instead of waiting on a big turbo to spool or a little t3 not making more than a 75shot difference.

Haha i have to just laugh at this...have you ever ridden in a 300whp stroker as well as turbo?

yes, I have as a matter of fact, both stock suspension with around the same gear, turbo was quicker around the track.

Not even close, the stroker makes power off the line and the turbo has to spool.

actually no gasoline powered car, makes peak power right off idle, as that would make it a fairly useless car, plus the turbo should spool about 2500 RPM, a few thousand RPM before a stroker would make peak power.

Now if i was building a car its all about what you want but when he only paid 1k for that stroker motor you sure as hell cant compare a 1k turbo to that power level,

He got a good deal, the rest of the world, usually ends up paying about $5k for a stroker on the cheap.

much less last as long as the stroker (turbo seals ect).

A turbo will only last as long as you take care of it, as most turbo diesels can go hundreds of thousands of miles without a need to rebuild the turbo.

I just rode in a friends 340whp honda hatch (gsr turbo on 15#) and that car is a totally different story between a stock 2+2 auto zx. But i can say that my old 78 (poor chaps been chopped up and put into 3 cars lol) with suspension, bolt ons (header, intake, pallnet rail, fpr, and some timing), as well as a dual friction/fidanza 10.5 flywheel combo smoked the crap(2-4cars) out of zx's on 12-15#'s and murdered a 300zx on 12#(like 2-3 busses)...from a dead stop

Are we talking with a stroker or stock motor with bolt on's?

, ofcourse from a roll it wasnt as bad (maybe 1 car better for them) but it still wasnt close and i was N/A! I've had turbo cars but there is nothing like a N/A (or supercharged) car, where all of the power is THERE when you put your foot to the floor instead of waiting on a big turbo to spool or a little t3 not making more than a 75shot difference.

Your not feeling power, you feeling torque, or you have short gears, or both! and since when could we compare boost to nitrous?

1st. If youre only making 300whp on a turbo youre doing it wrong or have a small budget.

2nd. Ive been in both and the turbo car was running a bigger turbo and didnt spool at 2500 therfore the stroker was quicker. Ofcourse if youre pushing a stock t3 to 300whp then its inefficient and hurting/going to blow faster than a motor.

3rd. Yes we're talking about gas engines not a turbo diesel on an 18wheeler (you cant even compare the two).

4th.Theres many differences in boost(much less boost vs spray), period (supercharged vs turbo). Either way if youre making good power you will have lag longer than 2500 or so which is where his car starts pulling hard all the way to 7k+.

But spray is even in some cases better than boost because you can spray off the line but to do so with boost you would have to have a huge stall on a turbo auto or a 2step.

But like i said....try and put together a turbo setup for 1k which is what he has in this stroker/tripple setup and i promise you his motor will be faster, last longer, less parts to fail,no tuning efi, boost controller,timer to save the turbo, wastegate/turbo failure (boom goes the motor/turbo) etc etc.

Dont get me wrong i love turbo cars, had many and will eventually tubo the stroker i have (haha that i bought with that bob sharp parts car for UNDER 1k) but for the money that we both have spent these stroked motors are great for having all you power there and not having to deal with/worry about all the extra bs that the turbo motors come with. But when i go turbo its going to be gt3076 or gt35r so 300whp will be on lowww boost.