HybridZ

My budget 240Z build

I just obtained my Z a month ago with plans to slowly make her presentable with a little bit of kick. The car currently is running on an L28 carbed with 5 speed transmission, MSA Headers, 2 1/4" exhaust piping with a straight pipe, Carb spacers?, Performance coil, NGK platinum plugs and wires. For suspension, it is sitting on ST springs (I believe I got the infamous mislabeled ones since my front sits higher than the rear), Tokico Blues, End Links and front and rear ST sway bars. For brakes, I am using the Toyota 4x4 calipers. For wheels I have some 15x10 Panasports on cheap 205 60 15's. I am planning on getting coilovers for better stance and handling, ZG flares so no more rubbing and fender mirrors. I am also in the process of transplanting my newly built L28ET. My goal is to be around 400 to 500 HP at the crank but for now, 300 should keep me going while I'm breaking it in. Oh and how could I forget, I will be refreshing the chassis as well with reinforcements and eliminating rust. The car will be painted Gloss black. The transformation will be slow but she will get there. Anyway, comments and suggestions are very well appreciated.

Engine: L28ET with J.E. Pistons, Eagle Forged Rods, Race Rod Bearings, Crane valves, Comp Cam, Comp Timing set, HKS 2mm Head Gasket, ARP Head Bolts, Euro Damper, Port and polished Head, Bosch Alternator, MSA Billet Alumimum Alternator Adjustment Arm, High Capacity Oil Pump, and all new Gaskets

Turbo System:

Garrett T3T4 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Top Mount Turbo Manifold, Tial BOV, Internal Wastegate, AVO intercooler 21x8x3 core, 2.5” inlet/outlet, and Custom Turbo 3 inch Downpipe with custom 3 inch piping all the way to the exhaust (Magnaflow Turbo exhaust?).

Intake:

240sx 60mm throttle body and Port matched Intake Manifold

Engine Management: L28ET ECU, Greddy E-Manage Ultimate, LC1 wide band O2 sensor and controller (still need to purchase one), and 240SX Map sensor (anyone got one?).

Fuel: 13 gal. Fuel Cell, Walbro 255LPH fuel pump (haven't bought one yet), 450cc Injectors (will be swapping in some 720's once the engine is broken in and I have funds to purchase them), Hardwired CSI to spray while on boost, Cold Fusion's Billet Fuel Rail (haven't bought one yet)

Ignition: Stock distributor, NGK Platinum Spark Plugs and Wires, and MSD Coil.

th_0825091831.jpg

th_0830092303.jpg

th_0913091806.jpg

th_0913091808.jpg

th_0913091809.jpg

th_0913091810-1.jpg

th_0913091812.jpg

th_0913091813.jpg

th_P1010341.jpg

th_P1010343.jpg

th_P1010344.jpg

th_P1010346.jpg

th_P1010352.jpg

th_P1010353.jpg

th_P1010354.jpg

Edited by Project Z
forgot the pics

Are you wanting to sell the old motor and suspension, pm me if so...and looks like a nice quick project to me.

I actually still have the original L24 with the 4 speed transmission of which I will end up getting rid of. As far as the L28 in the car, maybe once I finish the project.

Looks good! I like the black hood on yellow. Already lookin' mean :)

I just bought another Z a couple days ago and will be doing the same thing. L28et swap but minus the coilovers :P

Good luck and keep us updated!

The hood is actually going away since I'm swapping hoods with my friend since his has a hole for a top mount turbo. I won't be making a vent or a cover because I love the intimidation that it'll bring :mrgreen: But I will have a filter to cover the turbo so no birdies get sucked in.

I did not think there was such a thing a a budget 240z build.....lol

I am attempting the same thing. I have done it with a 240sx, but I do not think my Z project is gonna be on the same budget and I got my 240z for free!

I'm trying to keep it on a small budget (of course I won't tell how much!). If it gets accomplished then I get a cookie and if not, then I'll get none from my wife :mrgreen:

good luck with the build and a budget build isnt that hard im 15 and i bought my Z for 1800 and i have a turbo L24 with triple webers and so far all i need is paint a gas tank and misc hoses. The paint is getting done for free just trading out some work so yea there is such thing as a budget build for a 240z

• 2 weeks later...

Since I haven't obtained all the parts that I need before I can drop the engine in, I decided to mount my ZG flares for now. Next project is to switch the ST springs from front to rear. I think the rears are supposed to be the fronts and vice versa.

th_1006091827.jpg

I still need several parts before I will drop the engine in. Hopefully I can get her running by early December if not earlier. Stay tuned...