HybridZ

iPod/smart phone > speakers...no headunit???

TurboSE

I have recently been told (by the lady in my life) that the sound of a built RB isn't the only music I need in my car (bitch...lol...kidding, I love her). Anyway, my DIN space is taken up by gauges and switches. So, can I run my phone/ iPod (Verizon EnV Touch if it matters) through an 4-channel amp to 4 speakers (2 would be fine)?

I have an 3.5mm>RCA adapter, an ADS amp and a pair of Infinity 6.5's. By my calculations, that should be all I need (and some wire) but i tried to test it out of the car and it didn't work.

here's the details:

PWR > battery +

RMT > battery +

GRD > battery -

Ch1 RCA > Red

Ch2 RCA > White

non-bridged

Where is my mistake? Or is this just a pipe-dream? It works on my garage stereo...I'm not trying to run woofers or have amazing sound, I'm just trying to get tunes out of junk salvaged from parts-cars...

I have recently been told (by the lady in my life) that the sound of a built RB isn't the only music I need in my car (bitch...lol...kidding, I love her)

thats totally my new signature! :lmao::lmao: two speakers in the storage compartments, facing upward would probably be easiest, without cutting holes in the car, I hope that helps at little. As for the way you want to set it up, I dont see a reason why it wouldnt work, worse comes to worse, couldnt you throw in a cheap head unit in the glove box?

thats totally my new signature! :lmao::lmao: two speakers in the storage compartments, facing upward would probably be easiest, without cutting holes in the car, I hope that helps at little. As for the way you want to set it up, I dont see a reason why it wouldnt work, worse comes to worse, couldnt you throw in a cheap head unit in the glove box?

LOL! I'm glad you enjoyed it...she'd kill me if she saw it!

yep, it'll work fine.

If you want to leave it as a more permanent setup thought, you should put a switch inline in the remote wire, otherwise your amp will allways be switched on, and will drain your battery flat while the car is off.

good call! I didn't even think about the constant drain on my battery. Thanks a lot guys!

Yep, that will work. Just make sure you let the amp do all of the work. Don't turn your volume up on your ipod or phone more than about 1/2 way. If you have an ipod, you might even want to find somewhere to stick a dock for it. I have a PSP and have a dock that I can set in a perfect spot on my dash in my other car and I can even use the remote for the dock to skip/play/pause, etc.

My current system in my zed consists a computer 12volt 5.1 system, with the sub held in place by the cargo straps! and the speakers mounted ontop of the rear strut towers, and down in the footwells (i was going to change this to be behind the airvents at the edges of the dash - not sure if i'll do this when my car's back on the road though - was considering just running one of these http://www.soundmatters.com/foxl/ and run my iphone through it, as it looks like it would nicely fit where a headunit should be, nice and lightweight :D)

this has the advantage of having a 3.5mm input, along with a volume control that normally doubles as an on/off switch

I doubled up the front inputs to come out the rear, so it was really just a 2.1 system driving 4 speakers, similar to a normal car's system, as music in "surround" doesn't really work.

Naturally my mates who are into their car systems (with 2000watt RMS amps pumping out rediculous volumes) bagged this out quite alot, but after they'd sat in the car and had a listen agreed it sounded about the same as running a pair of 6x9's.

http://www.onetonnemusic.com/mt-static/archives/creative_inspire_5200.jpg

is similar to whats in my car

Edited by zedevan
fix errors

I doubled up the front inputs to come out the rear, so it was really just a 2.1 system driving 4 speakers, similar to a normal car's system, as music in "surround" doesn't really work.

You could get one with Dolby Pro Logic if you want that concert feel :mrgreen:

(The rear speakers would have almost no vocals)

I just picked up one of these at Radio Shack for my Z. It's a 160 watt total output speaker bar. It sounds great. It has an ipod dock and a remote controller. All you need to do is get a decent power inverter in the Z so you can plug this baby in. It's about 20 pounds, 32" wide with a ported sub. It has all kinds of brackets that can be used to secure it in the hatch somehow. It has great bass and sounds very sharp. Easy in and easy out of the car for cruising or racing.

http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=845164