HybridZ

My 4 wheel disk brake upgrade.

So I went to the junkyard and scoured and looked and tooled around for five hours and came out with 83-84 280zx rear rotors and calipers, 84 300zx non turbo vented rotors, 1990 Toyota 4X4 vented S12w 4 pot calipers, and last but not least, 1985 FWD Nissan Maxima flat brackets for rear disk brakes.

I cleaned them all up with a wire wheel on a cordless drill, and a 15$ sandblaster from harbor freight. I do not recommend buying this as it is damn near useless. The wire wheel is awesome though, and only about 5 bucks. A brillo pad and some simple green or wesleys bleche white gets it near shiney.

Then I sent them to my girlfriends father. He owns a machine shop and has a powder coater. I had him powder coat the calipers silver, and the brackets black after he machined them, to the specifications I found on this site.

I will be test fitting tomorrow before we strip the entire car and put it on a rotisserie, but i must say the quality is amazing as far as end results are concerned. I think the silver will look good against the gumetal of the wheels and car.

On to the pics!!!!

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

thoughts?

I did make sure everything fit except I couldn't check clearances until I got the bracket custom machined. Since he did all the machining and powdercoating together, i didn't have an opportunity to check that aspect. but the brackets fir on the hub, and the calipers fit on the brackets, so I'm going to look for a rotor that has a shorter hat than the 280zx rotors. i might get lucky, probably not.

• 2 weeks later...
If I use the 240sx caliper/maxima bracket combination what is the right rotor to use?

I thought the 240sx caliper only worked with the Modern Motorsports bracket and the '84 N/A 300zx non-vented rear rotors.

Any expert like to comment? Would love to know answer also.