HybridZ

Throttle body adjustment for boneheads

jgkurz

This is a little embarrassing but I recently found out my Weber 60mm T-body was not getting full throttle when I went to WOT on my gas pedal. For whatever reason, when I built the car I didn't do a good job of making sure I had full throttle travel. The butterfly opens 100% by hand but only 95% using the pedal. :bonk: I fixed this by adjusting down the throttle stop under the pedal. I feel like an idiot but am happy for some extra ponies... : ) I'm hoping it will translate into a 10th or two in the quarter mile.

Lesson: Always check for WOT at both the t-body and gas pedal.

• Administrators
This is a little embarrassing but I recently found out my Weber 60mm T-body was not getting full throttle when I went to WOT on my gas pedal. For whatever reason, when I built the car I didn't do a good job of making sure I had full throttle travel. The butterfly opens 100% by hand but only 95% using the pedal. :bonk: I fixed this by adjusting down the throttle stop under the pedal. I feel like an idiot but am happy for some extra ponies... : ) I'm hoping it will translate into a 10th or two in the quarter mile.

Lesson: Always check for WOT at both the t-body and gas pedal.

John,

95% opening of a 60mm TB on an L-6 vs 100% probably isn't going to yield any significant power gain, N/A or boosted. I'd be surprised if you saw even a 10 HP gain on a 400 crank HP boosted L6 with a 60 mm Throttle body going from 95% throttle opening, to 100% throttle opening. (85 degrees from horizontal butterfly postion to full 90 degrees).

If there is measurable gain, you'll most likely see it in your MPH, ET is too easily influenced on how how the car is launched, available traction, etc. :wink:

John,

95% opening of a 60mm TB on an L-6 vs 100% probably isn't going to yield any significant power gain, N/A or boosted. I'd be surprised if you saw even a 10 HP gain on a 400 crank HP boosted L6 with a 60 mm Throttle body going from 95% throttle opening, to 100% throttle opening. (85 degrees from horizontal butterfly postion to full 90 degrees).

If there is measurable gain, you'll most likely see it in your MPH, ET is too easily influenced on how how the car is launched, available traction, etc. :wink:

More MPH = More HP = Happiness :mrgreen:

I'll take an improvement where I can get it, especially if it's free.

I had to screw that damnable screw UP after I changed to cable throttle direct off the pedal! I was gingerly using the throttle and snapped the cable once...WTF? Then checked and realized the cable was so strong it FELT like I was on the stop...but in reality it was just bottoming the mikuinis against the stops (and then not deflecting or twisting the arms on the rod, amazingly!) After enough hardfooted stomping, POP!

Afterwards the pedal hit about right for brake pedal and throttle pedal synch. Bummer, eh?

I'm hoping this transfers to the ITBs when they go on. I hate crawling around under the dash adjusting things...