HybridZ

Computer Location?

• Administrators

Depends... earlier GM computers (example, TPI motor) must be mounted in the cabin. Later motors (example, LT1) are sealed and can be mounted in the engine compartment.

I haven't done a TPI swap, but having owned TPI cars, I'm relatively certain there is enough harness length to get the ECU in the glove box or below it.

I did an LT1 swap and initially placed the computer in the front right corner of the engine bay (on the frame rail right behind the core support) but the radiator fill was right there so I moved it into the passenger foot well.

It was a bit of a pain as the initial install forced me to shorten and lengthen every wire in the harness then I had to do the same thing again when I moved the computer to the footwell. Moral of the story, only install the computer once!!

On my LT1 I installed it inside on the passenger side firewall. The Camaro I pulled it from had in in the engine compartment, but there just isn't much room in our cars there unless you move the battery. Like wheelman said wire length will dictate a lot. thats a lot of wires if you have to make them longer.

I'm wrapping up my TPI swap next month (I hope). The harness from my 1990 F-body is plenty long to mount the computer on the passenger side in, or under the glove box, as has already been suggested. My Z is a '77 280 and I yanked out the factory AC and replaced it with a Vintage Air Universal Super Cooler with heat and defrost. That unit is so much smaller than the Datsun stuff (and uses R-134 instead of CFC-12) that I had 3 inches behind it to mount an aluminum panel on the firewall to hang the Computer, PASS, additional fuse box, and connectors. My harness comes through the firewall low on the passenger side under the corner of the battery tray with the extra length on the inside. That does two things: 1. It keeps the engine compartment a bit neater without having to shorten the harness; and 2. It gives me enough slack on the inside to remove my aluminum panel at the bottom edge where the screws are accessible and slide everything that is GM electrical out onto the passenger side floor for access if I ever need to get to it again. Most guys I've talked to cut a 2 inch round hole in the firewall for the harness, but I chose to cut a rectangular hole the same size as the one on the F-body so I could reuse the original bulkhead grommet.

A carbed 350 would have been a lot less work, but I'm looking forward to running the TPI. My combination is a near-stock '90 350ci TPI/MAP, WC T-5, and because I'm in California, I'm running Sanderson Block huggers with EGR tubes, twin catalytic converters, and 2 1/2 inch double ceramic coated exhaust. The plan is for the ceramic coated exhaust to keep the exhaust heat in the pipes to light off the cats as well as to keep the under-hood temps in check. I also have double heat shields between the cats and the trans tunnel to keep the carpet from getting too hot. We'll see if it all works as planned in a few weeks.

Thanks for the help guys, I really like the idea of fuel injection for driveability coupled with performance but like the idea of tunability with the carbed engine (I realize tuning is possible with EFI but generally its much more expensive).

Another question for you TPI guys, what are some realistic HP and torque numbers you are getting without many upgrades or custom modifications? Like stuff that doesn't require chip burning. Mild upgrade in cam and head modifications (to accomodate extra lift) etc. I have researched and heard lots of numbers but would like honest un-inflated by ego's numbers.

Thanks

rsicard: I understand that there is a lot of tune-ability with EFI systems but like a lot of people I am on a budget and would like to get the most for my money. EFI systems in my eyes gets expensive quickly with only a small performance improvement. Carbed setups are virtually limitless as long as you start with good base parts. I am very confident in my engine and computer literacy as well as troubleshooting.

Basically I just want a clean running, easy going engine with a little extra bite. Don't we all ;)

In response to your original question, I agree with what's been stated. Try to stick with a location similar to what was in the donor vehicle. My LT1 computer is placed similar to where it was located in the donor Camaro, and you can see it in the upper right corner of this pic.

PaintedZ_001_1_.JPG

As for 'tune-ability', there's plenty more available on a computer controlled car than an old school carb based vehicle. On vehicles like mine no 'chip burning' is required, just hook up a laptop and you can monitor and change over a hundred different data types. http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataMaster.html

Go with what you want, but your last statements are simply incorrect. EFI engines are virtually limitless as well, as long as you start with good base parts - and they respond quite well to improvements. I still have a stock bottom end and you can see the results in my signature block, and I think my horsepower numbers are even higher as I had low fuel pressure when it was tested.

Nice Z bartman! Love the paint on the blue and black one and the use of louvers.

Thanks for the link, looks like they have some useful stuff there, I will keep it in mind.

I really am torn between fuel injection and carbed :( I guess right now it depends on if I can find a good donor car for complete FI system.

Thanks