HybridZ

ka24de piston question

pantera74

I got this set of pistons with a stroker crank. the rings is Ka24de 89mm, the pistons identification is 11-755t STD. search high and low on the net but could not pinpoint the correct dish for the piston. I suspect the pistons is also ka24de. could anyone enlighten me the dish of pistons?

I also have a 240z engine that maybe got 200 miles since rebuilt sitting in the car which I am planning to removed for the rods. It also has the e31 head. If i was to use the stroker crank, 240z rods, the ka24de pistons i purchased with the crank and the e31 head. what compression ratio would it come out to? or should i just get rid of the piston and head and start over with a -2.8 dish piston and a n42 or p90 heads? it will be mostly use for street and occasion track.

I got this set of pistons with a stroker crank. the rings is Ka24de 89mm, the pistons identification is 11-755t STD. search high and low on the net but could not pinpoint the correct dish for the piston. I suspect the pistons is also ka24de. could anyone enlighten me the dish of pistons?

I also have a 240z engine that maybe got 200 miles since rebuilt sitting in the car which I am planning to removed for the rods. It also has the e31 head. If i was to use the stroker crank, 240z rods, the ka24de pistons i purchased with the crank and the e31 head. what compression ratio would it come out to? or should i just get rid of the piston and head and start over with a -2.8 dish piston and a n42 or p90 heads? it will be mostly use for street and occasion track.

Are you planning on running the motor in N/A or turbo application?

I'm pretty sure he's talking about things like...

Oh, teh interwebz tells me that with this combination that the interwebz told me has xx compression height and xx head and xx deck height, I will have a perfect cr for my application. The internets also told me that no matter how big the cam is I will never have valve clearance issues. EVAR

And the Internet is always right, right?

...If these thoughts are running through your head, you'll be in the same place you are now on build #2

You see, instead of taking it to my machine shop and spend $500 for his service. I'm going to attempt to do it at home with my drill press and sanding disk to surface the block. I'm not even sure how the hell i'm going to sonic test the block or hot tank the thing. Maybe put it in my shower tub and do it like what my white trailer trash forefather. That is why i'm on here asking bunch of you pro stupid questions.

I would appreciated if someone other than fat head 1 fast z enlighten me if what i have on hand is a decent combo or should i start over. yes, i can take it all down to my machine shop but if it's not a good combo I would be wasting his time.

I know some of you guys head is quite large with knowledge so share a little. If you are only going to contribute to this thread with smart ass remarks then I would appreciated you keep it to yourself.

I would appreciated if someone other than fat head 1 fast z enlighten me if what i have on hand is a decent combo or should i start over.

I know some of you guys head is quite large with knowledge so share a little. If you are only going to contribute to this thread with smart ass remarks then I would appreciated you keep it to yourself.

:shock: That's the attitude that will get you help on here :icon56:

Do it RIGHT or do it TWICE.

Expect to get what you pay for if you want to skimp on the machine work.

If you think "fat head 1 fast Z" isn't worth listening to, check this out:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120659

Considering 1 fast Z is one of the more competent machinists and engine builders for L engines on this site (which given his peers is saying something) I'm inclined to believe what he says. If you have something you're unsure of, break out a mic and figure it out. If you don't have one, there are a few auto parts stores that let you rent one, or if you go to your local high school and ask to borrow one from the physics teacher, I'm sure they'll even have one.

Also, as i recall, of the original L24 blocks that were sonic tested, they probably wouldn't like the 89mm over bore very much. For the factory L24 that's a massive over bore and starting with an N47 or P90 block would be a better starting point. 83-89mm is a 6mm overbore. That's a .240'' over. Which is a bunch.

Though provided you're using KA24 pistons, an E31 head, whatever block makes you happy to get 89mm and a 2mm hks HG, I calculate roundabouts 10.5cr with zero flycut.

I haven't read his thread and I am sure he is a great tuner but so far his head is bigger than i can handle. As you can already tell i'm not great at building engine. I am better at body work. I'll try to post some of the projects i'm working on that is related to body work. If you asked me a question about body work no matter how stupid it is. I would give you an answer. not everyone have the ability even after searching the thread to figure out everything or have the equipments to measure as 1 fast z mentions. that is why we ask questions in the first place.

I'll try to post some of the projects I'm working on that is related to body work. If you asked me a question about body work no matter how stupid it is. I would give you an answer. not everyone have the ability even after searching the thread to figure out everything or have the equipments to measure as 1 fast z mentions.

Allllrighty then..

Look you are missing the precepts of HybridZ.

It is dedicated to extreme building of Z cars!

Of course there is relaxation of some of this main rule, if there was not, well it would be tough to grow.

If you would want to give out any advice on body work, you can.

Believe it or not, if you spoon fed to much you would get into trouble, why?, you ask?

You would be doing a disservice to newer fellows that join the forum.

How, you ask?

Simple, "easy" is a motivational killer, it decreases ingenuity, reduces analytical skills and re-enforces laziness.

Overall it lends it's self to enforcing stupidity. (stupidity: having ablities and refusing to use them. (kinda like my joke at the end of this post))

Since the site makes no bones about who and what they are, your argument is predicated around what you might want, not what is.

At this point you are on thin ice, just calm down, think it over and come out the other side a little wiser. This site is full of those that have achieve a higher level of peace/ dicipline........the ones that have not, there names are in red,,,,,be careful of them.....teehee.

Tid bit of levity to enlighten and uplift.

Before 1_fast_Z condescended, he said five important words. "CC them and mic them."

If you had focused more on the advice, than on your own ego, you wouldn't have noticed his ego. His ego is a little large, but he is an OUTSTANDING guy, and a very valuable member of this site. Most importantly for you: he was right. He made a point I just spelled out in another thread titled something like "detonation resistance from rod/stroke?"

Here, play around with this, but as was pointed out above, don't take any of these figures for holy writ when it comes time to put the pieces together. Measure each and every single one of your own parts, ensure all clearances and tolerances are as they should be. http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/enginedesign/

You might want to look into spending about $100 on a few books. The titles of those books I always confuse, because they are mixtures of how to rebuild, how to hotrod and race, and how to restore your datsun, Datsun OHC engine, and then more specifically the L-6. The titles are recommended at virtually every turn and any search will turn them up.

Just as a parting reminder: your questions have been asked many many times before. I hate to be a search-nazi, but a little bit thicker a skin is pretty much necessary here, because the VAST majority of these guys know alot more than you, or even me. It isn't always easy to approach this place with enough humility; my dad has owned 240Zs since they came out (i've only been into them since 1980) but he cannot stand this forum because he can't admit when he is wrong about something Z-related.