HybridZ

older and supercharged

iheartz

whats up, havent made the time to get on here since april or so.

irrelevant.

just jogging ideas for a new project. i think i want to go from a 280z (efi) to a 240z (carb). no true reason other than the fact that the 240 was the first s30 made, plus im looking for the THOATY sound of the carbs.

my question:

is there guys out there supercharging the l28's? or are we only turboing, and n/a building?

if so: are the hp gains comperable to the turbo, and hassle less?

my reason for inquiring:

i just want a quick throttled s30z BUILT w/o the r/c sound of a turbo.

sorry if this has been previously discussed, i did search, but was unsuccessful.

thanks.

there are a couple, but none of which are overwhelming with information...

i have found more threads just by the difference of wording... still not happy w/ the searches though. i'll do some research on it.

and just to add in. the purpose of the car is autox and just a classic sentament. i'd like to see 500whp. will the supercharger allow that? (i have nooo knowledge on chargers if u hadnt noticed already, just want to do something other than a turb and still hit my target)

thanks.

Here is what I was talking about. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=144713&highlight=supercharger There is another one in NY that I found about a couple of years ago. I have several pictures on my work computer that I can send you next week.

yea, i didnt see that exact thread, but was aware of that car...

definately makes the decision a little more tempting, but still doesnt answer all my questions. i actually sent that guy a pm.

im not trying to sound negative, forgive me, if that is what i sound like. LOL. i dont mean it to sound in any way negative, i do APPRECIATE the help.

1. Carbs are a metered fuel leak /lesson.

People don't run EFI mostly because of the cost of going EFI or in most cases, they're just afraid of computers and all that gadgetry.

Carbs are fine, but they will not be able to produce as much power as they cannot as quickly and variably alter the Fuel/Air ratio. EFi only makes more power because you can safely push the engine closer to it's limits due to the ability of EFI to adjust for knock, temp, etc.

1. Carbs are a metered fuel leak /lesson.

People don't run EFI mostly because of the cost of going EFI or in most cases, they're just afraid of computers and all that gadgetry.

Carbs are fine, but they will not be able to produce as much power as they cannot as quickly and variably alter the Fuel/Air ratio. EFi only makes more power because you can safely push the engine closer to it's limits due to the ability of EFI to adjust for knock, temp, etc.

thanks for the carb101.

im all about power and go, so efi it is...

still clueless about the charger... kjones where are ya?

You're not likely to get much from the PM. I tried that sometime back and only got an offer to buy the system. No other info requested was forthcoming. I'm building a SC'd L28. The now completed long block is based on a LD28 block and V07 crank, L20B rods, JE pistons, P90A mech head and a custom cam from Isky. This will be EFI using SDS and Justin Olsen's intake flange. The mounting of the SC has yet to be finalized. I'd like to mount it below the intake and use an intercooler but it may interfere with the a/c compressor. If limited space won't allow for this arrangement I'm going to mount it straight to the intake are limit boost to the 6-8 lb range. It won't be a monster but should prove to be a pleasure to drive.

I have the option of EFI sitting in my garage but i want to be different and keep this setup

I have no clue on the supercharger but i myself is in the process of putting a L24 in a 280z that has triple webers and is turbo'd and i think im gonna like it

What does this have to do with the thread?

As for the original question, would you be using the SUs if you go carbs?

Heres a few links. Ones EFI, ones carbs.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136423&highlight=dum-bass

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153777&highlight=supercharged+l24

And as mentioned, search some more. The stuff is out there.

As for your power goals, 500 whp will take alot of work. It wont just be a matter of bolt it on and turn up the boost.

my only interest in carbs is for the sound...

I may be wrong, but adding a supercharger is going to make the two sound almost identical. The sound of the intake is going to be very different than the sound of the carb alone.

I've searched around a bit for this same idea (I have an L28 turbo block with SUs) and have found that it is very unlikely to be successful. From what I have read, there just arent any side-drafts that are designed in such a way that they would work with supercharging. If you really want to go with a supercharged setup, I would recommend switching to EFI, getting a centrifugal supercharger, and blowing through an intercooler just like the turbo guys do. A supercharger would definitely be a wicked package since there is no lag.

Personally I abandoned the supercharger idea since my HP goal is about 300, which can be fairly easily obtained with a N/A SBC 350.

As for the original question, would you be using the SUs if you go carbs?

As for your power goals, 500 whp will take alot of work. It wont just be a matter of bolt it on and turn up the boost.

ok ok, so i decided to drop the carb idea.

-my interest in them was to build more of a authentic 240. but power levels spark a greater interest.

i know 500whp is going to take a lot of work, thats the fun part. if only i could find a way to make a decent living doing stuff like this everyday, life would be perfect...