HybridZ

Weigh your car for free with no scales.

cygnusx1

This theoretically works, but how accurately? Anyone going to give it a try and compare it to a real scale weight? When I fix EVERYTHING in my Z, which might be never, I am going to try this for fun. I will drive the four tires onto left over floor tiles to get a smooth surface to measure from. :mrgreen:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-weigh-your-car-127482/

For those of you that think it's bunk, or a waste of time...maybe this video is for you:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-determine-if-she-s-a-hooker-or-a-cop-77614/

Yeah didnt look like she was using much accuracy in putting the paper down/measuring.

That's what I thought. The two pieces of paper would have to be perfectly parallel (same gap on both sides of tire) to get an accurate measurement. I being the statistician I am, though, see sooooo many variables that would throw this off. Like mentioned above, I bet I could more accurately judge a car's weight by looking at/in it.

Also keep in mind that the car being weighed is being compared to a factory weight. Different tires, different CD player, dirt in carpet, stuff in the trunk, junk on the floor or in the back seat, amount of gas in the tank, all that stuff makes a difference and is not included in the factory weight.

Yes, the amount of dirt in the carpet makes a BIG difference.

For example, my work truck:

carpet dry, before washing: 105LBS.

Carpet dry, after washing: 89LBS.

The truck did not appear dirty to the eye, but the wash water said otherwise...as did the weight.

Also keep in mind that the car being weighed is being compared to a factory weight. Different tires, different CD player, dirt in carpet, stuff in the trunk, junk on the floor or in the back seat, amount of gas in the tank, all that stuff makes a difference and is not included in the factory weight.

Yes, the amount of dirt in the carpet makes a BIG difference.

For example, my work truck:

carpet dry, before washing: 105LBS.

Carpet dry, after washing: 89LBS.

The truck did not appear dirty to the eye, but the wash water said otherwise...as did the weight.

you aren't comparing anything to factory, you are simply finding the amount of contact area your car has with the ground.

Contact Area X PSI = weight

I just found a great way to reduce the weight of my car. Let all the air pressure out of my tires!

Contact Area X 0 PSI = 0 weight

Actually, the rim would apply enormous pressure on the inside of the tire if you had zero PSI. You would need to find the contact area of the rim to the inside of the tire. Hire a mathematically oriented mouse and install it in your tire casing with a ruler and some small peices of paper. :o

• 2 weeks later...