HybridZ

z32 brakes on s30? ? ?

I have seen some hardwear for rear brake swaps from drum to 240sx brakes on the s30. I have had many 90 model 240sx's and it is so easy to go from stock 240sx brakes, front and rear to 300zx (z32) brakes front and rear. Has anyone heard of s30 with a z32 brake swap? Thats what i want Help me out! send links or pics or just plane good old knowledge. Does anyone make adapters and or brake line conversions for this swap/

im taken aback. guess what i found out. The 300zx tt has 4piston calpiers in the front and they are either aluminum or steel depending on what year they came off of. The toyota 4 piston caliper only comes in steel. The 300zx uses 4, 41.3mm pistons, but the toyota 4 piston caliper uses 4, 43mm pistons. The 300zx rotor has an 11'' diameter rotor vs. the 280zx rotor which is 10''. So in my opinion if you can get the 300zx rotor and aluminum caliper on an s30 you would have better heat dissipation with an aluminum caliper and better leverage with a bigger rotor. I do not think that 1.7mm difference in piston size would matter unless you had enough tire on the ground to maintain maximum traction under full braking without sliding the tires. Once you get the tires sliding it dosent matter how big your brakes are. I guess the real reason why im so partial to the z32 brakes and not the toyota calpiers w/280zx rotors is because they look so much better than the toyota calipers.

So back to my origional question has anyone ever seen 300zx 90-96 brakes on an s30?

im taken aback. guess what i found out. The 300zx tt has 4piston calpiers in the front and they are either aluminum or steel depending on what year they came off of. The toyota 4 piston caliper only comes in steel. The 300zx uses 4, 41.3mm pistons, but the toyota 4 piston caliper uses 4, 43mm pistons. The 300zx rotor has an 11'' diameter rotor vs. the 280zx rotor which is 10''. So in my opinion if you can get the 300zx rotor and aluminum caliper on an s30 you would have better heat dissipation with an aluminum caliper and better leverage with a bigger rotor. I do not think that 1.7mm difference in piston size would matter unless you had enough tire on the ground to maintain maximum traction under full braking without sliding the tires. Once you get the tires sliding it dosent matter how big your brakes are. I guess the real reason why im so partial to the z32 brakes and not the toyota calpiers w/280zx rotors is because they look so much better than the toyota calipers.

So back to my origional question has anyone ever seen 300zx 90-96 brakes on an s30?

I dont know where you got that info, but its no where near correct.

the z32 calipers come in aluminum or iron, 4 piston, 26mm pistons or 30mm pistons and 280mm rotors. and none are bolt on. also silvermine motors uses a caliper bracket for early 240sx calipers, which makes the mounting holes to narrow, MM uses the later 240sx calipers which would make the z32 rear calipers bolt on, but you wouldnt have a parking brake feature unless you installed a line lock or equivalent.

and no, the only people i have seen with z32 brakes, installed z32 suspension as well.

(also there is a HUGE sticky on brakes as well as an entire section for it, that should have the answers with little searching)

I dont know where you got that info, but its no where near correct.

the z32 calipers come in aluminum or iron, 4 piston, 26mm pistons or 30mm pistons and 280mm rotors. and none are bolt on. also silvermine motors uses a caliper bracket for early 240sx calipers, which makes the mounting holes to narrow, MM uses the later 240sx calipers which would make the z32 rear calipers bolt on, but you wouldnt have a parking brake feature unless you installed a line lock or equivalent.

and no, the only people i have seen with z32 brakes, installed z32 suspension as well.

(also there is a HUGE sticky on brakes as well as an entire section for it, that should have the answers with little searching)

26mm??? Thats 1.02 inches... the size of a quarter. That would be one VERY SMALL caliper piston.

I run Z32 calipers the front and rear of my 240zt, but they are soon going to be replaced by a Wilwood setup. I ran the old (1990 vintage) Arizona Zcar 11.5" rotor setup previous to the Z32 brakes I have now and the Wilwoods were superior to the Z32 calipers. I have the 1990 TT calipers (alum) and they are quite flexible. My 92 Z32 has iron calipers and they are better, but still not worth the effort of adapting them to the S30. The caliper bolt spacing on the Z32 calipers is around 100mm, the S30 caliper bolt spacing is 90mm.

I run Wilwood 12.2 x 1.25" rotors with custom hats to Z31 hubs in the front and 11.75 x .810" rear rotors with a custom hat/bolt-on wheel spacer setup. It was easy for me to do, as I can do the design of the custom bits and have a good buddy who is part owner of a machine shop. I had the caliper set sitting around, as well as the rotors, so I just worked up something that fit. I have no parking brake.

We have done another S30 that runs Z32 NA calipers (26mm disc) with 88 Z31 rotors that have been machined and drilled to fit the rotor mount of a 86 Z31 hub. You have to make a simple bracket to mount the caliper, as well as cutting off a part of the caliper mount on the strut and drilling and tapping a new hole. Again, this was done because the parts were at hand and the system suited the daily-driver status of the car (350 hp L28et, high 11 second car). This car runs a Modern Motorsport 240SX rear setup, as will my car in the spring.

Having done this, I wouldn't go through the trouble again, as there are better kits available from vendors.

I will be moving the Z32 setup to my 280z/2jz that is in the building stage right now, as it is a low-cost, non daily-driver that is going to have a lot of personality and is going to need some decent brakes.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone ever tried to mount the Z32 calipers like they should be mounted on the Z? By that I mean mounted facing the nose of the car as apposed to the rear of the car. Any help on this would be great.