HybridZ

350 engine, 240z 4 speed transmission.

Guest charlesjordan

Guest charlesjordan

hey, i searched the forums for this and i couldn't find the answer. maybe i'm looking in the wrong place or what ever but heres my question.

can i drop in a 350 engine and use the same stock 71 240z transmission type b. i'm a noob so go easy on me.

thanks

charles.

Welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

Look over this thread, http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117254 it will give you some insite on what the different options are. I personally would not use the stock 240z tranny when you can pick up TH350s for 25.00 to 50.00 bucks.....depending on where you look. ;)

Also read this:

HybridZ Forum Rules - READ NOW BEFORE POSTING!

11. If you are planning a V8 swap into a Z (esp. SBC), please order the swap manual from http://www.jagsthatrun.com/ . Although this manual is specific to the early Z, it would be helpful to any swap.

Hope that helps.

hey, i searched the forums for this and i couldn't find the answer. maybe i'm looking in the wrong place or what ever but heres my question.

can i drop in a 350 engine and use the same stock 71 240z transmission type b. i'm a noob so go easy on me.

thanks

charles.

I've asked about using datsun transmissions and seen a few other folks ask about them too and all I have seen in response is "well I would use this.. or I would recommend this..". Personally I'd love to use my T5 because I LOVE the gear-spread and I am only going for about 250-300HP. I think phlebmaster implied that it COULD be used though.

If you have a t5 you could make it work. You'd need to change to a chevy pattern bell housing though. The non-t5 Datsun transmissions (the name escapes me) and automatics would need an adapter plate which, if you can find one to fit, are usually more expensive and more of a hassel than just switching to a chevy trans in the first place.

If you have a t5 you could make it work. You'd need to change to a chevy pattern bell housing though. The non-t5 Datsun transmissions (the name escapes me) and automatics would need an adapter plate which, if you can find one to fit, are usually more expensive and more of a hassel than just switching to a chevy trans in the first place.

Cool. Guess I might be able to get it to work because I have a Chevy bell housing sittin in the shed.

You know they put the T5 in IROC camaro's right?

Unless I am misunderstanding the JTR manual, T5s dont have a universal pattern. Says something like Mustangs, Camaros, Jeeps all have different patterns. That's where I got lost. Maybe it was just referring to where the mounts are. I dunno. :icon56:

Gear ratios, input shaft size/dimension are also different among T5s from different applications. You can't just change the bell housing from a mustang t5 to a chevy pattern and throw it on the motor, unfortunately. I know shaft length is different, possibly others as well.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-5.asp

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

Unless I am misunderstanding the JTR manual, T5s dont have a universal pattern. Says something like Mustangs, Camaros, Jeeps all have different patterns. That's where I got lost. Maybe it was just referring to where the mounts are. I dunno. :icon56:

What i was getting at, was grab a t5 from a camaro and use that, instead of the s130's t5.

the transmissions are not the same the camaro t-5 works well though I have one in my car. the shifter comes throught the factory hole and if you really work at it you can use the factory z shifter, I made mine work sooooooo, with the hood closed car looks completely stock