HybridZ

Strange clicking in rear wheel area

Hi All,

I'm reaching out to the masses for help with a perplexing problem on my 77 280Z with Modern Motorsports 240sx rear disk and 280ZX CV conversion kits. Here's the issue. Recently my left rear wheel is making a clicking when I take off from a stop. This happens intermittently and does not matter whether I'm going forward or in reverse. I only hear the clicking on the initial movement of the car. Nothing is heard after I get rolling. I have checked the CV shaft bolts, lug nuts, wheel bearing play and break shoe clips but everything is perfect. The clicking SEEMS like it is near the wheel and not in the differential area. It occurs whether it's warm or cold. I don't think it's a wheel bearing since the noise is not the typical growl and seems more external. Can a bad wheel bearing make a clicking noise?? Applying the brakes or ebrake does not affect the noise in any way. It almost sounds like an outer CV shaft joint but I hate take it out unless I'm sure.

I found this thread which is similar but it's not conclusive: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124355&highlight=clicking

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Brake cable rubbing on your 1/2 shaft?

No issue with the cable. It's tucked up nicely in the stock location.

Check clearance on the sway bar to the cv's.

You might be onto something. I will double check and post my findings.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you ever figure out what was making the clicking noise? I have a similar problem with my 74 260Z with stock rear suspension and brakes. The clicking has gotten worse over time, hate to just wait for something to fail to figure it out!

I have not figured it out but I now believe it has something to do with the pad retainer clips. I hope to narrow this down soon as the noise is really annoying.

-John

• 3 weeks later...

I have not figured it out but I now believe it has something to do with the pad retainer clips. I hope to narrow this down soon as the noise is really annoying.

-John

Well it wasn't the brakes or the CV shaft so next is the rear wheel bearing. Based on a post I saw on zcar.com I think the bearing may be the culprit. Strange that it would click/tink vs the typical growl when a wheel bearing is failing. The bearing really is the only thing remaining other than the diff which I'm told is likely not the problem. Changing a rear wheel bearing on a Z sucks so wish me luck.

J

• 4 months later...

Heard a similar noise on my wife's '97 Corolla. Went on for months. I finally jacked up the car and spun the wheel but the sound didn't happen. A couple weeks later, I took off the wheel for something else and decided to pry out some little rocks in the tread. No more clicking. It really sounded like a click of bearings or something else, but not rocks.