HybridZ

Fuel Cell Mounting

johnc

Finally got to the back of the car to take some photos of the fuel cell mounting frame Bill Savage put in.

Cell_Frame_1A.jpg

Cell_Frame_2A.jpg

Cell_Frame_3A.jpg

Pump_and_Filter_Mount_1.jpg

The loop on the right of the cell frame is the mount for the fuel filter and pump. And the next photo is of a really cool rear tow eye. Its really light and I can jack the rear of the car up using that a the jacking point.

Rear_Tow_Eye_1.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hey John, would you mind putting these pics back up? I just got my Xmas present from Fuel Safe and I know I was pretty impressed with the way you had mounted your cell. I remember really thin straps, but can't recall the frame work and I'm a little confused as to what to do there because of all the bolts around the perimeter...

Here is a pic of what I have: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/path.2005/img.91053440_L.jpg/deptId.58/displayId.2271/qx/ProductLargeView.htm

See the flange at the top? That is the part that is giving me some trouble.

I saw bjhines's setup, that's pretty sweet. Mine is a bit different because it has bolts all the way around the flange that sticks out at the top. I could make a frame very similar to what he did, but then I'd have to either replace all the bolts with longer ones and make them go all the way through the frame (PITA with my crappy drill press), or I could maybe make the frame out of angle iron so that there wasn't so much thickness to it and then maybe the bolts that came with the cell would be long enough (maybe, they're really short).

John Coffey's frame I think had a round tube in front and back and thin straps, but I can't remember seeing the side parts of the frame which left me wondering how he dealt with the top flange part, if his cell even had a top flange, and I can't remember how he kept it secure vertically...

Uh, yeah its a bit uncommon. I wish i could help you on mounting part, but i dont know if you maybe want to make a support on each angle of the cell instead of all around. If the bolts are short as you mention, there no good anyway if you going to be making a support around the flange, then just replace them with longer ones and strap it in.

I might chime in here....

I looked at the tanks with the top flange... That is what I would have preferred to use...

For the mounting system I would have made the same frame I made for my cell... then drill holes to clear each fastener... I would then use 6-8 clamps held with 3/8" hardware the went through the square tubing...

Oops, I meant that the pickup would be in the left front, not LR.

I'm not too concerned about the pickup location, I've never had fuel starvation issues and if I ever get around to doing the LS swap I'll just put a small surge tank in there. Right now I've got 3 surge tanks in the carbs, and until I run into issues i think I'll let that be good enough.

I wouldn't be inclined to raise the tank for a diffuser. I suppose you'll know better what to do after you do the wind tunnel testing, but I can't imagine a diffuser doing so much good that a higher cg was offset by it. Plus, if you tilt the tank then the bottom of it acts like a diffuser, that's the whole idea. Wouldn't have the strakes, although I'm sure that they could be added later if that was deemed a priority.

Wouldn't have the strakes, although I'm sure that they could be added later if that was deemed a priority.

Strakes are really not needed in our application. You just need sides to the diffuser. I mounted my Borla muffler vertically on the left side of the fuel cell and the fuel pump/filter frame on the right side had a sheet of CF wire tied to it. I'm sure the whole setup generated about 5 lbs of actual downforce but I felt it made about 50, so I drove faster through the corners. In that sense it worked.

Hey John I was looking at some pics on http://www.betamotorsports.com of the fuel cell mount you did for Amir. It looks like you did a full frame, I can't tell if it goes all the way underneath the cell. Was that just to mount the pump and all that, or do you feel that the cell needs to be supported underneath as well?