HybridZ

Body work and paint in progress !

Blown77Z

About 2 months ago I started sanding the car down to bare metal to prep it for body work, then paint. I now have the first phase of it done :)

Car_Stripped_1_.JPG

Car_Stripped.JPG

The reason for taking it all the way down to bare metal was to find on the hidden rust under the 80 layers of paint I found on the car... :evil:

Sure enough, I found a few small rust spots/areas that I cleaned up and will coat them with POR-15. Here's the worst spot I found, this rust spot aka HOLE ate all the way thru the metal.

Welding_Holes_1_.JPG

I have decided to shave the rear end including the hatch lid emblem, the antenna hole, side emblems behind the quarter windows and rear lower valence. The front fender emblems will also be shaved.

Welding_Holes_2_.JPG

And I bought a new toy to help with all of this ;)

Miller_Welder_1_.JPG

My first time using a welder and in my opinion it's not that hard to get used to it, although the learning curve is higher when starting to weld on thin metal versus thick metal :shock:

After the metal work is done. I will smooth it all out with some bondo. Then start the paint process :mrgreen:

I'll be shooting the car with the smoke gray color from the 2010 mustang!

I can't wait !!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Here's an update. I have my welding patches complete now and the rest of the paint has been removed from a few areas I left behind. I also have my MSA Type 2 airdam on order :)

Update pictures.

Car as of 11/15/09

Update_111509.JPG

Rear Valence

Patched_Rear_Valence.JPG

Patched_Rear_Valence_1_.JPG

Patched driver lower rear side

Patched_driver_lower_side.JPG

I also got my hood vents fitted and bolted on for visual inspection ;)

Hood_Vents.JPG

Yeah, me too ! I leave it in the garage at ALL times and only bring it out well after any moisture is in the air. It has gotten a few SMALL surface rust areas here and there. I've been keeping up with them and hitting them again with a sander to keep the big rust spots away !

I have another question. What product are you guys using to clean the bare metal with BEFORE using Ospho or the like? I thought I had wiped all the sanding/paint residue off my hood before I sprayed it with Ospho, but I didn't. Now there's dried sanding/paint dust in the Ospho coating that I will have to sand off :oops:

I was thinking of using the 3M wax and grease remover you can buy at any local store. Any more options that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Test fitted my MSA Type 2 bumper, let me know if I can work with this !

MSA_Type_2.JPG

Passenger side corner:

MSA_Type_2_1_.JPG

Driver side corner. Notice how it doesn't fit in the recess as well as the passenger side....

MSA_Type_2_2_.JPG

MSA_Type_2_3_.JPG

Do you guys think it will be OK to pull up on the bumper a tad to make it line up properly then secure it? Or will it crack over time doing it that way?

• 8 months later...

UPDATE !

I was able to put my primer/sealer on the rest of the car last night. I had previously primered my hood and fenders a few days earlier to test my new equipment.

med_gallery_3346_756_1705975.jpg

med_gallery_3346_756_1081560.jpg

med_gallery_3346_756_323128.jpg

I noticed today I still have a few problem areas to deal with, mainly the areas that have the body work. You can still see the body work under the primer. I'm going to spray 3-4 coats of primer over the body work again to see if I can hide it that way. If the primer method doesn't work I will get some high build primer and use that.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Primered the remaining pieces to the front end the other day. The cowl hood, inspection lids, headlight buckets and gas cap lid are all done now. I also received my high build primer to help cover up the body work areas under the sealer.

PrimeredCowlandinspectionlids2.jpg

PrimeredCowlandinspectionlids1.jpg

PrimeredHLBuckets2.jpg

PrimeredHLBuckets1.jpg

Update:

Test fitted my MSA Type 2 bumper, let me know if I can work with this !

MSA_Type_2.JPG

Passenger side corner:

MSA_Type_2_1_.JPG

Driver side corner. Notice how it doesn't fit in the recess as well as the passenger side....

MSA_Type_2_2_.JPG

MSA_Type_2_3_.JPG

Do you guys think it will be OK to pull up on the bumper a tad to make it line up properly then secure it? Or will it crack over time doing it that way?

I'm curious to see if you came up with a solution for this. From the front view, it appears that the bumper is not equidistant at each end from the hood--basically, the gap is wider between the hood and bumper on the driver's side. It appears that you should bring the bumper up just a tad on the driver's side. So far, the work looks pretty darn good!

Davy

I'm curious to see if you came up with a solution for this. From the front view, it appears that the bumper is not equidistant at each end from the hood--basically, the gap is wider between the hood and bumper on the driver's side. It appears that you should bring the bumper up just a tad on the driver's side. So far, the work looks pretty darn good!

Davy

I'm still a ways off from getting to the bumper. I'm still in the process of primering/MORE body work, BAH. More pictures today maybe if I can get around to it.