HybridZ

How to do a RHD Conversion

280zjoel

Hey ever take any pics of the alternator relocation? and what belt part number did you end up using?

Actually, I will be working on making the bracket for the alternator this week. I will post pics as soon as make the bracket. I will have to check the part number on the belt, I took my old belt to the Auto store and they just got me one that was the same size length wise.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, not much going on so far. I changed the timing chain on my engine and its just about ready to go in. I still need to fab up a bracket for my alternator ( I might do it tomorrow depending on the rain:sad:) Hopefully ill have this thing wrapped up pretty soon, then ill get to drive it again:mparty:

Picture410.jpg?t=1257383986

The part that you have indicated in red outline, in the above picture, continues on out and covers the back of where the hood hinge nuts are welded. Do you by any chance still have about 12 to 18 inches of that piece left on your donor clip? Mine is rusted beyond repair in that area and I need both sides to weld back in. If you would be interested in selling these pieces please let me know. PM me if you prefer and I could shoot you a picture of my car showing how much of the parts I need. Thanks in advance.

Hey ever take any pics of the alternator relocation? and what belt part number did you end up using?

Here is what I did today to switch the alternator to the left hand side. First off I took the alternator bracket and flipped it upside down and positioned it on the other side, I had to measure how much to offset it to line up with the other pulleys. I ended up drilling a new hole, and making 2 brakets to help support it(circled in yellow).

Picture4528.jpg?t=1264655113

Also the spot I drilled the hole needed to be grinded flat since it is not level.

Picture4529.jpg?t=1264655244

Picture4531.jpg?t=1264655287

Here is a better shot of the new hole I had to drill, hehehe I machined it flat( actually I grinded it down:icon45:) It came out pretty well, one thing I did not like was welding the steel piece to the cast steel bracket, not the cleanest weld but I will make sure to check it often to make sure I doesnt crack.

Picture4530.jpg?t=1264655524

Picture4532.jpg?t=1264655568

Alternator On :)

Picture4533.jpg?t=1264655606

Picture4534.jpg?t=1264655635

And thats about it. All I need to do now I get some right sized bolts and im good to go( Notice the ghetto bolt spacers on the bracket).

Nice, I competely overlook things very often. I made a my own bracket from scratch but the alternator faces up and the terminal on the back sits close to the exhaust manifold so I think im gonna flip mine like yours. Thanks for the idea and nice work.

dude, your engine bay looks better than mine. any paint on a engine bay will give you more thumbs up than a black one. black does look good with any color though.

I know what you mean. I wish I had more money to work on the car, in order for me to paint the engine bay with the red, I would also need to buy some black base coat to spray on first. Originally when I went to the paint shop the guy there told me that the color I bought was a 2 stage paint. When I got the tech sheet for the paint, it mentioned to spray the red base over black base to get the desired color. So now I have to buy black base coat and hardener( Cali state law prohibits solvent based paints unless used with a hardener to bring it up to spec) which would cost me more $$$$. So its satin black for now. Maybe in the future I will repaint it, when I have more time and money. I think it looks a whole lot better than before, It will also be easier for touch ups.

Ok guys, got more work done. Here is where I stand as of now( Today I used my brothers Nikon, and man that thing works great:mrgreen:):

DSC_3495.jpg?t=1264841485

POW!! MOTOR IS IN!! :) It took some TLC to squeeze it in but its in. I did run into a few problems though.

DSC_3497.jpg?t=1264841780

Notice How close my clutch Master is to my intake?

DSC_3501.jpg?t=1264841831

So here Is my problem, the clutch master line barely touches the intake manifold, I think Im going to place a washer under the the motor mount to move it slightly over and away from the line.

DSC_3499.jpg?t=1264842037

Here is a pic of the Alternator bracket... Its super close to the rail but will work. I did have to take the alternator, and lower bracket off when I put the engine in.

DSC_3498.jpg?t=1264842150

Another angle of the alternator.

DSC_3503.jpg?t=1264842197

Hehe... check out my Gangstered out shifter:icon45: My uncle who is a machinist made it in the early 80's. Its pretty cool, so im going to use it. Anyhow Ill have this thing going pretty soon, ill keep you guys posted.

No pics right now but here is a list of the things I got done today:

- Inststalled outer tie rods

- Eyeballed Alignment

- Bled the front brakes

- Installed Down pipe

- Fixed the intake from hitting the clutch line

- Installed the slave cylinder

And some other bits and piece's I cant think of right now. Anyhow its getting close to being back on the road soon.

Its getting there:

Picture4536.jpg?t=1264997669

Installed the Radiator, Intercooler, fenders, and some other stuff.

Im surprised by how much CLEANER the engine bay looks from before. Its been so long I forgot how dirty it looked.

Before:

Picture073.jpg?t=1264998036

After:

Picture4537.jpg?t=1264997761

....*drools* looks much cleaner.

Picture4538.jpg?t=1264998123

Picture4541.jpg?t=1264998148

Gotta love them Rota RB-R's

Almost done :mrgreen:

Forgot to post some pics of the progress I got yesterday. Did some work on the dashboard. It has 3 layers of fiberglass cloth on top with a thin layer of body filler to even things out. I also ended up adding a very small amount of fiberglass Resin to the body filler to add some strength to it, it just makes it a little harder to sand :-(

Picture4545.jpg?t=1265145660

Picture4546.jpg?t=1265145688

Picture4547.jpg?t=1265145715

You can see in the last picture how warped the dash got, notice the high spot where there is no filler above the second gauge curve is, all and all its looks pretty decent and I think it should come out good.

damn man, talk about "built not bought" - gotta tip my hat to you.

lol thanks, havent had too much time lately to work on the car.

I did manage to get the driveshaft in, do some more work on the dash, and worked on some electrical stuff, on a side note, im not having fun getting a belt for the thing. Ive already made 2 trips to Autozone( first time too short, second time too long) now its a matter of picking one that in between the two lol. Hopefully I will have it running soon. I did place the extra RHD dash in my Z and I am really liking the 240kph Speedo. I just might use that instead of my Autometer Gauge.

Here is a quick cell phone pic of my Z when I rolled it out of the garage. The engine bay looks awesome. I cant wait to repaint the rest of this thing, It will look HAWT!!!:mrgreen:

downsized_0208001503.jpg?t=1265873608

lol thanks, havent had too much time lately to work on the car.

I did manage to get the driveshaft in, do some more work on the dash, and worked on some electrical stuff, on a side note, im not having fun getting a belt for the thing. Ive already made 2 trips to Autozone( first time too short, second time too long) now its a matter of picking one that in between the two lol. Hopefully I will have it running soon. I did place the extra RHD dash in my Z and I am really liking the 240kph Speedo. I just might use that instead of my Autometer Gauge.

Here is a quick cell phone pic of my Z when I rolled it out of the garage. The engine bay looks awesome. I cant wait to repaint the rest of this thing, It will look HAWT!!!:mrgreen:

downsized_0208001503.jpg?t=1265873608

A trick with getting a measurement for belts, is to get a piece of rope or string and run it where the belt would go, measure that piece, count how many ribs you need and your set.

haha. I went to parts store 3 times, guys starting giving me their advice and constantly asking "what year and make".

I mounted my alternator differently, I didnt finish it yet. I have never really had to "fab" up as many things for a project as this one. I hope the crank pulley doesnt just slip around the belt. Its tight. Belt outer circurmance is 40 3/8. Dotn think its going to help you though.

16863_478735290712_695975712_11010975_5229301_n.jpg

lol Good point Hoov, my brother told me the same thing after I mentioned that I got the wrong size. The belt I got would have worked, but since the alternator is so close to the frame rail, I would have the belt snug just a bit and the Alternator would already be hitting the rail itself. So I need one that is about 1/2inch shorter.

mr jdm: looks good, I was kind of worried about how much( or less) contact the crank pulley has to the belts. I hope it does not slip, I will find out when I drive it lol.

HAHA!!! got some more work done today:mrgreen: Did some sanding on the dashboard. I got a pretty good shape already, I just need to touch up some spots.

Picture4586.jpg?t=1266043871

After I worked the filler, I decided to primer it black to see how good the body work is so far.... well its going to need more work:icon45: Most of it looks good. The hard part is the gauge bumps, im trying to make sure that they look as identical as possible to each other.

Picture4587.jpg?t=1266044034

Picture4588.jpg?t=1266044059

It not perfect, but so far looks a lot better than I expected, but still has some rough spots needing to be fixed.

Picture4589.jpg?t=1266044126

Here is my little goober spot I need to fix. This spot is kind of difficult since the dash had warped and cracked so bad around there( I did fiber glass work to the worst looking dash, just in case if I would have messed up then I would not feel as bad about it.) but It looks a lot better than before. Once I get everthing straighened out them Im going to hit it with a couple heavy coats of primer, smoothen it out, and buy some SEM Vinyl Texture coat and Vinyl paint to make it look OEM. Then hopefully it will NEVER EVER crack again..... I hope:mrgreen: