HybridZ

What does an air regulator actually do?

I am the proud owner of a '78 280z with an L28ET out of an '82. I'm still getting things adjusted in the fuel injection area (the bible really is a life saver). But I've found an area that doesn't seem to be covered and need some wisdom. The previous owner has removed the air regulator and put the hose straight from the valve cover to the throttlebody. Is this some kind of mod? would that cause any problems (currently the mixture is still not adjusting right). If you have any insight please help me out- I can't find any useful information anywhere on what it even does!

I was trying to edit my last post on here to correct something, but it wasn't letting me, so I deleted it and here we go. With more this time as well.

The air regulator has a reed valve that closes when it gets hot. So on cold starts its open, allowing auxiliary air past the throttle body into the intake manifold, thus raising the idle. Its basically a fancy choke. Once it warms up, it closes.

On my S30 there are two air connections on the throttle body, one before and one after the butterfly valve. Is that the same for the S130 motor? If so, and the air regulator has been removed, I would say make block off plates on the throttle body, get rid of the hose all together and put a small filter on the valve cover.

I know the 280Z, and 280ZX FI system can be really finicky, especially when parts are removed. A good, and very reliable option is to switch to the Z31 FI system.