HybridZ

R34 RB26 engine harness for S30 swap

DatsunDon

I'm the new guy in town and just joined. Clive, evilz, turned me on. Thank you Clive.

I see alot of RB swaps these days for the S30 chassis, alot of stuff being done in CA, but not so much on the east coast. I spoke to Linh Bui in CA, did a R32 RB26 S30 swap, nice job, and he was happy someone on the east coast was doing this swap he and has been very helpful, but not for what I need now. I am in the process of doing the RB swap myself, what a job, but will be worth it just for the education. So far I purchased the RB25DET tranny last year and just got a R34 RB26 form JDM Racing in Canada. The engine came with a butchered wire harness, I should of known better, but I guess I didn't, I just wanted that engine. Anyhow, I can get one from Nissan. Nissan wants to know what car the engine came out of, v-spec, m-spec, I don't know, not returnable.

Anyway to tell what harness is needed? The harness that came with the ECU has a white ECU connector. The ones I see are blue. Any ideas would be helpful. I have the engine serial number and numbers on the ECU PCB and enclosure.

A good link for the R32, R33 and R34 RB26 differences is at

http://tyndago.googlepages.com/rb26dett

Thanks

Don

if you have a rb26, weither it be a r32,33 or 34 if you get a harness for a rb26 it should work. i dont think there are that great of if any differences between the generations. unlike the rb25 with the series 1 and 2 and the er34 neo engine there are significant differences. but do some research, if you dont find a solid answer here check the skylines downunder forums.

good luck

We are in the same boat. I am doing a rb25 swap too. I have that harness you are speaking of. It comes out of a Nissan Stagea which is a station wagon or a skyline with a RB26 or neo engine. I am trying to drop mine into a 300 ZX 2+2 91 model. They are hard to find on skyline most skyline in a RB25 have those other blue connectors only stageas and R34 skylines have the white or gray looking three row connectors. Check under the RB20 neo addition also.

Yeah the stagea uses the series 2 Rb25det but some of the sensors are different but same engine. I was going to switch to a regular R33 harness but the ECU for the stagea is way easier to mod. I can actually chip it, use power fc, or nistune. Series 2 ecus cannot be chipped at least thats what I read. So I guess once I drop mine into the car we should compare notes on the wiring that looks to be the hardest part of my swap other than the oil pickup which I am going to have to get some fabbing done to get it to work.

Yeah the stagea uses the series 2 Rb25det but some of the sensors are different but same engine. I was going to switch to a regular R33 harness but the ECU for the stagea is way easier to mod. I can actually chip it, use power fc, or nistune. Series 2 ecus cannot be chipped at least thats what I read. So I guess once I drop mine into the car we should compare notes on the wiring that looks to be the hardest part of my swap other than the oil pickup which I am going to have to get some fabbing done to get it to work.

Huh. I wonder if I can use a stagea ecu with my series 1 rb25. I have been a fan of nistune since it launched.

If you have all theconnectors for the stock harness iwould suggest just running an after market ecu and build the harness for that I can't imagine how much a stock harness is going to cost.. I bet at least half of any of the top ten ecu's

The R34 harness and computer are totally different the R32/33.........

Any suggestions on where to get harness or figure out what car the engine came out of. Above I provided a link to the differences between the R32, R33 and R34. The only thing I can think of is to figure out where all the wires go and splice them together.

Well you got two choices on this one. The harness you need comes off a RB25 neo, late model RB26 or a Stagea any year between 96-2001. On the Ausi site there are tons of those Stageas but the cost to ship it would be a killer.

You can go this route. Buy a RB25 R33 harness and ECU and use it instead.

Now I was also wondering if you could pull all the pins out on harness connector and use a diagram to repin it on a R33 or 32 harness connector.

• 3 weeks later...

I got this harness problem sorted out. I took some pictures of the engine sensors with data plates on them and anything else I can find and sent it to Nissan Motorsports. They found the harness for this engine. Next is to get it and hope it really is the same, please!!!

• 5 months later...

I got this harness problem sorted out. I took some pictures of the engine sensors with data plates on them and anything else I can find and sent it to Nissan Motorsports. They found the harness for this engine. Next is to get it and hope it really is the same, please!!!

After all this time, the guy who said he could get the R34 RB26 harness fell through. But I found one on ebay and got it. Well it has a gray white ECU connector, whereas the one I got has a all white one. So I asked the guy from ebay what the deal was. He said I don't have a R34 RB26 engine. Someone replace the top cover with a R34 red cover, change the ignitors to R34 and the cam sensor. I don't thing this is true. He wanted the know the block number. I looked and it was 05U. He says it should be 24U, but I thought this was only for a N1 engine. So anyone know what the block number is for a R34 RB26?

Well first thing .. you can not use R34 RB26 ecu on S30....... It has immobilizer.

You will need to use R33 or R32 ecu and harness.

Cas on R34 is same as R33,32 I think it just pinned backward. check service manual online.

R34 has no ignitor, it's in the coil, so all you need is skip the ignitor and go straight to coil.(signal wire)

Dwell is same as R32 R33 so it will work.

I would use R33,32 Apex power-fc so i can see all the sensors and can be tuned for optimum.

oh.. easiest way is to use R34 harness and R33 or R32 ecu and just flip the CAS(crank angle sensor) signal wires.

CAS has 4 wires, power, ground, two signal wires. JUST flip signal wires at ecu or at sensor.