HybridZ

how to turbo in aus

zxryan

hi guys how are ya all?

im from australia and we didn't get the turbo'd 280 in australia so i would like some advice please.

so with the n/a, does it have strong enough crank and conrods, ive herd that the main difference between the two is the pistons.

now ive got an 82 280zx so im in beliefe that ive got the flat top pistons.

what sort of boost range should i be around?? ive read up to 10 is fine if the ignition is all done right.

my plan is to make my own custom intake and exhaust, so that being sorted i was wondering about the timing, most important ofcourse.

should i go about making my own digital timing system or is thier easeir ways around it.

im pritty talented so i can customize some things to match if need.

Ok I'm picking on you.

Some of the ZX guys are just getting a little out of hand.

Understandable that "most" are new, however there are rules here.

Use capitals , try spelling words better and for goodness sakes SEARCH!

This is generalized for consumption of just not you but others.

the stock NA intake is good for a turbo.

the na engine is just as strong as a turbo engine.

order the stock turbo exhaust manifold from ebay. the turbo exhaust manifolds are small and should be fairly cheap to ship.

use a set of 1975 to 1980 NA pistons. These pistons are dished and will work in the 82 block. Use the 82 head (P79). these pistons with the P79 head will make stock turbo compression (7.4:1).

the easiest way to add a turbo to a NA engine is to lock out the ignition mechanical advance and use a FMU (bell engineering or vortec super FMU) to increase fuel pressure on boost. Lock the timing at 25 degrees and use 7 or 8:1 (fuel pressure to boost).

Guest Rolling Parts
Ok I'm picking on you.

I disagree; I think it's well deserved when his first question was on what octane meant and now it's a rambling question on what's involved in turbocharging an engine. Even a Google search would have given these answers in 0.004 seconds!

I'd suggest zxryan at least define what HP he's designing for before asking if individual components are up to the task.

I'm running an 81 280ZX N/A Motor with a turbo swap, it's the same motor as yours. I am on 8 lbs boost right now but I plan on going higher. I also have a stand alone ECU [MegaSquirt] and a front mount Intercooler.

Check out my N/A to Turbo writeup:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153195

And check out the turbocharger section of this website, there are tons and tons of threads about this.

http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Good luck!!

Now if we calm down and relise the simple differences like that octane,spelling and availability is different in Australia to America.

My main question was since i am in Australia, whats the best way to do it since im from oversea's is no doubt a bit pricy.

I have searched and found that its a great idea to change some heads and pistons and just grab stuff of a turbo car, but you'll find it difficult to find a z car in Austrailan wreakers now a days.

So anyway if it pains you so much to read it, then dont, then you don't have to waste time on replying.

Thanks flat black and pyro.

Now cause i have an Australian Right hand drive model, id be thinking that i wouldn't have things like a steering shaft and clutch masters and a brake booster in the way, but could that mean that other things have been moved in the way?

I don't plan any crazy power figures, my plan is to have it a bit more tourqy and a bit more powerfull then my 300zx z32, which is non turbo i might add. i believe that sets the bar around 240hp/180 at the fly.

Now if we calm down and relise the simple differences like that octane,spelling and availability is different in Australia to America.

My main question was since i am in Australia, whats the best way to do it since im from oversea's is no doubt a bit pricy.

I have searched and found that its a great idea to change some heads and pistons and just grab stuff of a turbo car, but you'll find it difficult to find a z car in Austrailan wreakers now a days.

So anyway if it pains you so much to read it, then dont, then you don't have to waste time on replying.

Thanks flat black and pyro.

Now cause i have an Australian Right hand drive model, id be thinking that i wouldn't have things like a steering shaft and clutch masters and a brake booster in the way, but could that mean that other things have been moved in the way?

I don't plan any crazy power figures, my plan is to have it a bit more tourqy and a bit more powerfull then my 300zx z32, which is non turbo i might add. i believe that sets the bar around 240hp/180 at the fly.

You still dont get it.......Search!

Couple of us in Australia have L28et.

Check out viczcar.com

By the way, steering shaft and brake boosters clear well on a rhd car. Plenty of room.

There are some engine bay photos here

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/garvice/

Also, this is the wrong forum to get your back up when people tell you to search. (Rule number 12)

Search, search, then when your head hurts, search some more.

yes, without the steering in the way you could build an exhaust pipe from the stock NA exhaust manifold up to a turbo. The turbo needs to be mounted above the oil pan so oil can drain down to the pan. Also need a bracket to hold the weight of the turbo, as it will break the exhaust pipe in time.

You can add a turbo to the stock 82 setup (flat tops and P79, 8.8:1 cr), but you can't run much boost or timing on boost (8 psi and less than 20 degrees advance). so much better to use a complete 75 to 80 engine (8.3:1) or use a 75 to 80 block (N42) with a 81 to 83 head (P79) to make 7.4:1.

Should be able to run 14.5 at 95 mph with 8 psi of boost on a otherwise stock Z with a manual trans. This is about 180 to 200hp and 225 to 240 ftlbs at the wheels. Makes the car feel very torquey if you use a stock L28 turbo exhaust turbine (quick to boost).

You can add a turbo to the stock 82 setup (flat tops and P79, 8.8:1 cr), but you can't run much boost or timing on boost (8 psi and less than 20 degrees advance). so much better to use a complete 75 to 80 engine (8.3:1) or use a 75 to 80 block (N42) with a 81 to 83 head (P79) to make 7.4:1.

I'm out to prove you wrong, friend :)

well, i have done it. 8 psi on a stock 82 setup (flat top/P79) and all the engine would take was 17 degrees of timing without detonation. sure the turbo made more power on the 8.8:1 cr engine but not as much as more timing on a 8.3:1 engine (tried that too) or more boost and even more timing on a 7.4:1 cr setup.

A bigger than stock cam would help a lot with boost and 8.8:1 cr. Say a msa turbo cam stage 1 or 2, but just too much cylinder pressure for boost and 8.8:1 cr and a stock cam.

good luck with proving me wrong! I would be glad to see it!

Guest Rolling Parts

THANKS for the design parameter (cheap and low power).

Given that info, all you need to do is add a T3 on the exhaust manifold and add some larger injectors and tweak the fuel pressure. The lower end is fine.

don't need to add bigger injectors. Just more fuel pressure with an FMU. 55 to 60 psi of fuel pressure with 7 to 8 psi of boost (stock 280zxt boost) works well.

one msd efi pump will do that. Or two stock pumps in parallel. A stock pump in good condition may also be able to make that pressure with enough flow.

if you get crazy (like on my car), you can run a carb pump to feed a big bosch pump (from a porsche 928) too make 100 psi of fuel pressure on 14 psi of boost. But you will need an intercooler to run 14 psi. 10 psi is about max for no IC.

Just curious, are the bodys different from the American versions to the Australian versions.

I was planning on running an intercooler but just in having a look today, thier dosnt seem to be much space to get the piping to the front and back to the engine.

I found out today that i have a n47 head and it has dished pistons in it, im guessing that the engine has been swaped in the past to the 75-80 model.

you can add a turbo to your current engine. 8.3:1 takes a turbo without any problems if you run stock boost (7 to 8 psi).

use a 8:1 fmu with the distributor (dizzy) mechanical advance locked out and set at 24 degrees.

ebay sells fmu's for 90 to 110 US dollars.

if you change to a P79 then you can run more boost but will also need an IC and more fuel pump (if you use a fmu for fuel enrichment).

are you going to use a junk yard turbo or buy a new one?

the turbine and compressor selection will be key to your setup.

If the turbine is to big then boost will come on very late and you will lose much of the engine power band. If the turbine is too small then low rpm boost will be very good, but it will choke the engine off in the higher rpms and it would be hard to drive without boost coming on all the time.

Just curious, are the bodys different from the American versions to the Australian versions.

I was planning on running an intercooler but just in having a look today, thier dosnt seem to be much space to get the piping to the front and back to the engine.

I found out today that i have a n47 head and it has dished pistons in it, im guessing that the engine has been swaped in the past to the 75-80 model.

I've never owned a S130 but I've taken one apart, it *seemed* like the engine bay had a bit more room.

Check out this, this is my setup, and it's very close to the fan, but it works fine.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/TERBEAUX/DSC03025.jpghttp://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh81/flatblack280/TERBEAUX/DSC03025.jpg

So, Australia never got the 280ZX Turbo?

First of i was planning on going for a used turbo, and i was actually gonna try twin turbo, thats why im planning on making my own intake and exhaust so i can make more room. Measuring up twin turbos should work from a 300zx z32, that way thiers no problems with lag or choking.

Whats the current price range for after market ignition and fuel control?