HybridZ

280ZX Chassis weight

Gollum

Well, my black 81' is officially GONE. It's been cut up for a few months now and just got around to bringin' her to the scrap yard.

I really wanted to get a bathroom scale at least and weigh her out but it just didn't happen. So I'll have to live with the weight the scap yard gave me (which can tend to be a bit low so they don't pay out as much, I'm sure).

So this weight they gave me was for the whole chssis minus the floorboads (just the section from the foot well to under the butt of your seat) and the chassis was STRIPPED. Not even bumpers were in this weight though the ONE thing still on the metal was the windshield.

On the receipt it says 500 pounds, which obviously looks rounded, as I'm sure it is. Though I guess it's a good bet it wasn't over 550 pounds, so with the floor board that'd be 570 pounds MAX. A closer educated guess would be 540 with floor boards.

This was also a T-top car, which has a lot of roof reinforcement that the slick tops don't have. So here's a break down of what the car was:

1981' 280ZX 2 Seater Non-turbo

T-Top model

No Doors

No Bumpers

No engine

No Side Glass

No Corner Glass

No Hatch

No T-Tops

No Suspension

No Diff

No Tank

Literally almost every bolt pulled off

What was left:

Brake booster

Fuel Lines

Brake Lines (some)

Windshield Glass

I'm not starting this thread for an argument from anyone. I'm just wanting this data, even if somewhat inconclusive, to be available to people in the future. Why? Because this shows you what you're working with in a S130. This shows people how much weight you're adding with the rest of the parts you need to make a car. Same could be said for the S30 as I think their bare chassis is around the same. Sure makes me want some nice light double wishbone setup for a S130....

Oh, and to top off the story a bit, I took it to the yard piled up in a '06 Tundra and latched it all down with some ratcheting straps. Reminded me of all the ghetto old jap trucks around here with cardboard being used to raise the sides of the bed...

Why???? You can't honestly use the two extra seats for anything other than cargo space unless your female friends are under 80 pounds and 5 feet, and even then they'll be cramped.

The longer wheel base makes the 2+2 more predicable concerning turning backwards on you mid-corner, but you also loose some sense of slip angle since you're not as close to the rear wheels. I prefer the more lively feeling of the 2 seater, though it might be harder to drive fast in the corners. It's more fun.

Oh, the VIN to the other car, the 83'.

JN1CZ06S0DX700645

And for the record it was:

1983 Datsun 280ZX

2+2

T-Top

Turbo

5 Speed (T5)

White Exterior

Red interior

Anything else that matters?