HybridZ

Interesting day yesterday...

BRAAP

I'm not a deer hunter but if it's a clean kill I don't see anything wrong with it. I know here in Nebraska you can purchase a salvage tag for road-kill deer so you can get it processed. If the deer drags its self into the woods I'd think twice. All the adrenaline gets in the meat and (I've heard) can give it a spoiled taste, not to mention the higher risk of fecal contamination.

Backstraps are outside all fecal zones...

I watched a deer get hit and spun around by a logging truck in Michigan's UP. Happend about a 1/2 mile in front of me, and the deer went DOWN! Cleared the shoulder, and was dropped dead.

Here I am, with the wife and kid in the 2+2 towing a small trailer with 40# of freshly-bought ice in the cooler. First thought through my mind was 'FRESH!'

I was having visions of quickly field dressing the deer, packing hte internal body cavity with ice to rapidly drop the temperature (it was Late June) and then proceeding on to the next Sheriff's station for the permit...with the goal of arriving at my father-in-law's house within 2.5 hours with a Venison Feast ready to string up in his garage and pack into his deep freeze. The boy could shoot his super soaker out the hatch to keep the fur wet and proivide evaporative cooling as well...

The Z starts burbling as I start slowing down. My wife says "What are you doing?"

Deer!

She remains silent, I start pulling onto the shoulder.... "What are you doing?"

We got 40# of ice, we can pack this thing off and have fresh venison tonight at your dads!

"NO!"

What?

"NO!"

But, you ate this stuff all the time growing up! It's your dad that got ME doing this, and you're not going to get anything fresher than this! I't a clean kill... (pulled up and stopped by the carcas, only head damage, maybe some bruising on the hindquarters, truck out of sight by now, didn't even slow down...) I mean, you aren't going to get anything better than this!

"NO!"

(Son) "Oh, dad! The deer! The deer!"

Come on honey, it's the perfect opportunity to teach the boy about waste-not want not, and opportunity raising it's head. Plus he needs to know how to field dress a deer.

"No, not now, not on this deer!"

(My look of puzzled frustration, wifes look of 'I'm not changing my mind, DRIVE ON!')

Argh, my mouth was watering thinking about dinner as I saw it get whacked. It was like taking food out of the mouth of a starving man. I was not happy...

Fecal contamination is only a factor if they get balled up under the truck and spit out the side. Then it's only good for dog food...