HybridZ

Capped Engine Compartment Frame Rails - Pics

Zzeal

I've got a solid '73, barely noticed by the rust demons, but it's frame rails have led a rough life, they're all dinged up. So, to pretty 'em up and add some anti-flex, I've got Hard Dog rail caps going on.

To continue the theme, I had some engine compartment frame rail caps made up too, out of 14ga. steel. It took me four metal fabrication shops until I found one that could pull it off, duplicating my cardboard templates and fully covering all three sides of the rail. The other shops could only do two full sides and cover only about half of the third side.

Everything's been coated with 3M's weldable primer, and after it's all on I'll pour in some...POR-15?? where I can and give it a twirl, since this project's on a rotisserie. Could be a real mess to clean up though!

Steve

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_1049-2.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

P1000006-1.jpg

I've got a solid '73, barely noticed by the rust demons, but it's frame rails have led a rough life, they're all dinged up. So, to pretty 'em up and add some anti-flex, I've got Hard Dog rail caps going on.

To continue the theme, I had some engine compartment frame rail caps made up too, out of 14ga. steel. It took me four metal fabrication shops until I found one that could pull it off, duplicating my cardboard templates and fully covering all three sides of the rail. The other shops could only do two full sides and cover only about half of the third side.

Everything's been coated with 3M's weldable primer, and after it's all on I'll pour in some...POR-15?? where I can and give it a twirl, since this project's on a rotisserie. Could be a real mess to clean up though!

Steve

Do you mean Bad Dog rails?

Those do look great! Out of curiosity how much did it cost you to have them bent to shape?

The first three shops said they would've been right around $100 for bending the two pieces, including the metal, and I thought wow!, that's cheap! But then the uber shop said "to get the whole enchilada it will cost three happy meals, $300."

dsommer-

Nooooo thanks, I don't want to get into the front rail biz.

Am I the only one that thinks welding right on top of the old rails is a bad idea?

Some water is bound to get between the two rails and start rusting.

It will be a rare occasion for this car to get wet, but I wouldn't worry about it, even as a daily driver. Everything will be buttoned up with 3M's seam sealer. I'm going to drill a small hole at the top edge of the rail and fill the cavity with some WD40, oil or whatever, then plug the hole.

Steve

It will be a rare occasion for this car to get wet, but I wouldn't worry about it, even as a daily driver. Everything will be buttoned up with 3M's seam sealer. I'm going to drill a small hole at the top edge of the rail and fill the cavity with some WD40, oil or whatever, then plug the hole.

Steve

Liquid water (rain, washing the car, etc) probably isnt the usual cause of rusting. Its water vapor/moisture in the air that is the culprit.

• 2 weeks later...
Liquid water (rain, washing the car, etc) probably isnt the usual cause of rusting. Its water vapor/moisture in the air that is the culprit.

Agreed, and I'm finding my idea of lubing everything through one hole isn't feasible and I have no idea how long the weldable primer will resist corrosion if I do nothing, so I'm gonna keep it lubed up in there by drilling several holes and squirting in light oil or some "Endura". A mechanic friend highly recommends it. It "sprays as a liquid, penetrates tight areas and sets up as a long lasting grease", the ad reads.

I designed the caps to fit snugly top and bottom but with some wiggle room on the vertical side, leaving room to get the lube going.

I thought I paid $300 for the pair but it was $250. The shop that did the work kept my measurements and can make more. Beefing 'em up to 12 Ga. would cost another $10.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in going this route, I could provide the measurements or put you in touch with the shop.

Here are the nylon plugs I'm using, cute little buggers, for 3/16" holes.

P1000083.jpg

P1000085.jpg

P1000088.jpg

Once again, Great job! It looks wonderful!

I guess as long as you own the car and maintain it there won't be any rust issues in that area. I wonder though if having all those holes might just allow moisture in that normally wouldn't? However, I doubt you'll ever have a problem with it.