HybridZ

So what makes a GOOD V8Z package, anyway???

Mikelly

• 3 weeks later...

I started with a $500 rusted out hulk of a homemade 350V8 conversion in 1999. Big mistake. BTW: I bought a "350Z" personalized plate a year later. I have over $25K in the car now and still not finished. If I had to do it all over again, I would have borrowed $10K and bought the best V8 Z I could find and then went to work on it. Sometimes it pays off like when you go to a Porsche club dyno day and a guy with a $100K car says "I bet you grin ever time you stomp on the gas". Yup.

• 1 month later...
A BBC in a stock Z won't work well because it lacks balance (that word again) in that the rest of the car can't stand up to the motor in braking, handling, or longevity!

When the rest of the car is outfitted with gear to match the powertrain, or vice versa, the fun factor soars!! smile.gif

Davy

I was getting worried until I got to the part about outfitting the car with the gear to match the powertrain.

I was getting worried until I got to the part about outfitting the car with the gear to match the powertrain.

I thought seriously about a BBC but I knew I would have to have a very expensive aluminum block to balance the car for road courses and autocross use so I went with a built roller cam 350 SBC with Brodix heads and still broke half shaft u joints at the strip. Now, I have gone to a Techno Toy R230 coil over set up that will supposedly handle 600+ horsepower. Will know soon.

Nitrous and a missed shift took care of the last motor. If I blow this motor, World Products makes a small block 427 that looks very interesting or maybe a supercharger on a 383.

Well I finally ran my car at the strip last night. Despite having some serious traction issues due to crappy Kumho street tires and having the distributor come loose and back my total timing to 25 degrees I still managed to get a 11.80 @115 mph spinning through 1st gear and the better half of 2nd. Next time I go I'll have some sticky slicks and have the distributor secured then we'll really see what the car can do.

Cable, what gears are you running with that torque monster? I'm really curious. Your car intrigues me :D

My old post was so poorly written back then---it's supposed to imply that the rest of the car needs to be matched to your motor, otherwise it's "out of balance."

Davy

Cable, what gears are you running with that torque monster? I'm really curious. Your car intrigues me :D

My old post was so poorly written back then---it's supposed to imply that the rest of the car needs to be matched to your motor, otherwise it's "out of balance."

Davy

Hey Davy, my gears are 3.54 in a R200 vLSD and 4 inter CV's from a Q45, mustache bar and front mount from Techno Toy Tuning and Moser axles from MMS.

I knew what you meant from your old post, no worries. I was just pulling your chain, besides who is crazy enough to do a BBC swap anyway.... that's just crazy!!

Hey Davy, my gears are 3.54 in a R200 vLSD and 4 inter CV's from a Q45, mustache bar and front mount from Techno Toy Tuning and Moser axles from MMS.

I knew what you meant from your old post, no worries. I was just pulling your chain, besides who is crazy enough to do a BBC swap anyway.... that's just crazy!!

I may end up buying the Mosers from Ross at the end of the year, but my 3.9 R200 is there to stay at the moment. I do have a NICE R230 waiting to be installed too :D My lowly SBC may not be enough to turn it though :mrgreen:

BTW, nice times at the strip! Man, that's really smokin' for your wimpy Khumo's. I have the same tires too hahahaha! Based on your experience, I won't expect much when I go to the strip...

Davy

I may end up buying the Mosers from Ross at the end of the year, but my 3.9 R200 is there to stay at the moment. I do have a NICE R230 waiting to be installed too :D My lowly SBC may not be enough to turn it though :mrgreen:

BTW, nice times at the strip! Man, that's really smokin' for your wimpy Khumo's. I have the same tires too hahahaha! Based on your experience, I won't expect much when I go to the strip...

Davy

I wouldn't worry about your 'lowly' sbc. I ran 13.2 with a mild SMOG headed 383 in the same car with an open R200 w/3.54 gears. I honestly bet that I'd be running quicker if I stayed with my twin-turbo 422 SBC idea.

Then some damn 'professional drag car builder' told me that 'you can't do that', (regarding BBC in a Datsun Z) "...at least not without cutting up the car and motorplating the engine in." Those are like fighting words to me :D.

I didn't expect to run the times I did with my 245/50/16 Kumho's, but I guess they did okay considering the torque I put through them.

• 8 months later...
Wow, those are a lot of big words. Seems like everybody's beating around the bush...I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. LS1.

The End

:D

I thought about the LS1 but I am too old school to mess with electronics and that engine barely fits into the 260Z. You may as well go to an LS6. I love being able to change plugs on my roller cam carbed 350 with just a ratchet and a spark plug socket and pull the engine/transmission in a couple of hours by myself. Try that with a LS1.:wink:

Well yeah, ls6... Each new corvette model year we can replace our engines with the one before, heh.

Barely fits though? It looked spacious enough, almost the entire engine sits behind the struts. I only wish I had the room to fit the intercooler in the bay and have power steering or a/c. Currently I can do neither. :(

But yeah, wiring is often a nightmare. A whole thread can be devoted to one carb, while another devoted to one ambiguous injector wire.

Still though, I said The End. You can't comment after somebody says The End. It just doesn't make sense. :P

Well yeah, ls6... Each new corvette model year we can replace our engines with the one before, heh.

Barely fits though? It looked spacious enough, almost the entire engine sits behind the struts. I only wish I had the room to fit the intercooler in the bay and have power steering or a/c. Currently I can do neither. :(

But yeah, wiring is often a nightmare. A whole thread can be devoted to one carb, while another devoted to one ambiguous injector wire.

Still though, I said The End. You can't comment after somebody says The End. It just doesn't make sense. :P

Oop! I did not see your "End" but I have now. :P