HybridZ

l28et swap handling opinions. (s30 chasis)

pcakes55

Okay, so I'm building a street/track (mostly street) car in school next semester, and trying to decide between SR20DET or L28ET swap.

From a handling standpoint, how well does YOUR L28et swapped 240z handle on the track?

I know the ideal handling swap would be the SR, but the price is right for the l28et, any opinions would be great. Thanks guys :burnout:

its more a function of finding the correct combo of suspension parts.my car(77 280 with zxt power)has run faster lap times than slower trailered in race cars.but it took 3 years of parts swapping(at 3 or 4 track days a year)to get the car where i like it.car is kind of heavy-2650 lbs.still has working factory a/c.most v8 swaps end up putting more weight on rear wheels.if i swap again it will be to a chevy lsx style motor-probably a 6.0 truck motor.you can get peak hp out of a small engine-but its ft/lbs of torque that make the car easy to drive.

I have search search searched to the point where I'm doing 8 hours of research on the topic and before i know it its 2 AM and i have to wake up for school in 4 hours.

I assumed it was ideal simply because of the weight and placement of the sr20 opposed to that of the l28, I just was hoping I could hear some personal experience from some people with both and what their thoughts were on how they handled on the track. I think I've decided on l28 though, thanks for the replies guys, thread can be deleted.

I would add that it's more 'Theoretical' that the SR is better. In theory it's better since the polar moments are better, it's lighter, etc...

BUT...

I have noticed no difference from the N/A that was in there, other than understeering more into a turn because I have more power, and am going faster in the same space. So this means I adjust the handling accordingly.

Build to your horsepower level, a stock L28ET is well within the power limitations of the chassis you are considering. IMO, anything up to about 350HP should work with an S30. Over that power level, it's more about straighline performance from what I've seen. My fat tired S30 Shark Car was tossable at 275-300HP like a go-kart, and I was happy with it. Would it have been 'better' with an SR20? I don't know, but I didn't feel there was a penalty in handling retaining the L6 in there.

Now, if you were talking about a B110, or a 510... then the duke-out would be SR -vs- KA wouldn't it? In the JDM, many of the '10-Series' Sedans had two models, one with a longer nose, and one with a shorter nose. Same wheelbase, but one had a four cylinder (short nose) and one had the L20A Six in there (long nose). In those I would say likely the longer nosed versions may benefit from the 4 cylinder platform since it appears the longer nosed versions were simply the four cylinder cars with added sheetmetal on inner and outer fender sheetmetal. Meaning in my mind that they were designed around a four cylinder. The old Box Skylines seemed a bit nose-heavy for my tastes when in six cylinder format compared to the G-20 powered short-nosed versions.

But I prattle, rattle, and digress...