HybridZ

Why is 79-83zx 2+2 so hard to find parts for?

powershotnt

Hello..new to this forum..very glad I found it. I was given a 1981 2+2 in really sad shape. I am going to do a resto mod over the next several years. My question is that i have done tons of searches and have lots of sites for parts but the 2+2 model is almost impossible to get body parts for. Black dragon has a huge selection but it seems alot of the parts i need are not available for the 2+2..why?

007_thumb.JPG

Guest Rolling Parts

1) The ZX is less popular than the 1st gen Z cars

2) The 2+2 is less popular that the 2 seater

3) Fewer 2+2's were made than 2 seaters.

That's 3 strikes against finding boat loads after market body part support.

i have a superb body restoration guy but he tells me to stay away from "aftermarket" fenders and panels. The whole underside frame rails are bent in and lots of rust thru on quarters and lower side rails. Even the front mounts on the rear suspension is colapsing. He is charging me $500 to redo the whole under body and reinforcing the whole thing including all the floor pans and going thicker guage steel over the old frame rails.

I found an 83 ZXT in the local junk yard.Perfect interior and all the parts I needed. Told them be back the next month to buy the whole thing..went in last weds...it was gone..they had crushed it on that monday!!!! I got very upset. No other zx's in any of the junk yards in western washington.

I wanted to do the 2+2 for the rareity of it...guess I better just keep looking.

3 strikes against me but I ain't out yet!!!

uniquefork.jpg

Yes 2+2's are more rare but that does not always mean a desire. They were rare not because the production was limited but because the seats were for the most part useless. The body was changed a bit to accommodate the seats, and you couldn't fit a person back there reasonably. Add to that a emissions limited engine, and heavier chassis and you have a car that in general does not live up to the previous model.

And now that time has gone by, its not cost effective for people to manufacture parts for a "rare" car that not many people would want in the first place.

If you look online, there are some cars that are "rare" because only a limited few were produced or still around today but they are pretty much useless then and more so now. More of an entertainment value in that sense.

Don't look at rareity just because there's not many that exist, but look at why its rare. Is it because it was a bad car, collector's item etc.

I'm not knocking any one that has a 2+2 or 280zx or combination of the two for that matter, its just that people didn't want them too much then and its continued that way today.

Guest Rolling Parts
.... The whole underside frame rails are bent in and lots of rust thru on quarters and lower side rails. Even the front mounts on the rear suspension is colapsing. ...

It's a parts car.

Find a GOOD shell.

No sense at all in spending $3-4K (of more for real MOS parts) with a superb body restoration guy when complete shells are $200.

http://www.radaronline.com/photos/image/8139/2009/06/radaronlinecom-lists-worst-cars-ever-made

Some examples, yeah they're unique but what about they're value and parts?

Sad thing is I have owned several cars on that list and loved them. :mrgreen:

fiero

pinto

broncoII

my dad had an edsel

The 2+2's are all we got over here. No 2 seaters at all. That doesn't make parts easier to get here though. I now own 4 cars and I'll maybe get 2 good ones and maybe a 3rd not so good one from all of this. :icon56:

man I'm glad I don't live there lmao

It's a parts car.

Find a GOOD shell.

No sense at all in spending $3-4K (of more for real MOS parts) with a superb body restoration guy when complete shells are $200.

my body guy told me this was no big deal..he does nothing but restorations and has seen much worse. he is charging me $500 for a complete rebuild underneath that includes reinforcing frame for V-8 install and reinforcing rear susp mounts stripping and sealing entire underside.

Every one i have looked at in the pacific NW here has pretty much the same issues. Where could i find a complete shell?

my body guy told me this was no big deal..he does nothing but restorations and has seen much worse. he is charging me $500 for a complete rebuild underneath that includes reinforcing frame for V-8 install and reinforcing rear susp mounts stripping and sealing entire underside.

Every one i have looked at in the pacific NW here has pretty much the same issues. Where could i find a complete shell?

here

ebay

craigslist

newspaper

driving around and seeing one sitting in a field

other z and nissan sites

2+2's wernt very sought after cars. I really want one bad but none fit my criteria. (see my signature) I have owned several s130 2+2's

I'll have to send you the links of all the ones I find. I'm looking for another turbo car but a want an 82-83 five speed coupe and it seems like all I ever find are 2+2. :burnout:

I'll have to send you the links of all the ones I find. I'm looking for another turbo car but a want an 82-83 five speed coupe and it seems like all I ever find are 2+2. :burnout:

i found one in boise idaho for $300 but has rust issues also. I work for a car hauling outfit and run the NW. If i find a car they will let me have a load to that area so i can buy it and haul it back for free. Got a pm from a guy in oak harbor who knows of some in his area so waiting to hear back from him. I have a dream for this car and I really do not want it turning out to be a nightmare..as long as I keep focused on the image in my brain of the car finished and sitting at a car show. As for the back seats I am tossing it around about leaving them out and having my aluminum fabricator make a shelf or box that will be small storage and hold all the elctronics for the sound system. Come on lotto #'s!!!!!!

here :D but you won't like the shipping charges :P I got a whole car minus the engine and tranny for $300, only a little minor rust in non-structural areas, garaged for 12 years/2 owners before I bought it, and with a V8 twin pipe exhaust already fitted ready for a V8 to go in...

not bad :D that's about $200 USD at the time I bought it, or more like $250 US now, but if you went shopping down here, the freight charges back across the pacific would kill any savings over buying US.

A little more seriously...

If you're pacific NW, you're closer to Cali than the guys across the divide in the atlantic NE, :P when you annual leave comes up, go for a vacation at the sunny Cali beaches and take a car trailer along would be my suggestion.

i know this dosnt help you much but im in western australia and it took me 10yrs to find 2 1979 280zx 2+2s...the reason being is in these cars i an exempt from australian design rules meaning i can legally modify my vehicle in any way (minus nos) id like...i bought the both of them for 1500 auzzie dollars...one had been converted to a l20 the other a n42...in one rear compartment was 1 and a half entire rebuild kits...one had rusted out the entire left hand chassis rail the other only needed a decent paint job so, i built a good one out of them,i mainly used rb30 parts on the external side of the motor (injectors,fuel regulator,fuelpump,blow by valve etc etc)i or others could not believe how good it ran...everything in the motor was standard and i recieved 2nd place in a rally(i was beaten by a wrx imprezza) what im trying to say is you dont have to spend 5k to build a reasonable car you just need to be somewhat mechanically minded and trial an error(inexpensivly) and even though people told me i was wasting my time on the heap of s#*t when they got in the passengers side of it they got out looking pastier than a white crayon and were dissapointed i wouldnt let them drive it so chin up and have fun doing it lifes only as hard as you make it