HybridZ

240z has arrived :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i kind of want to do a fuel cell, mostly cause i think they are bad ass and i like the idea of having a new tank and such. Jeff came to check out the car, he said im pretty good to go, minus the boards and rails, which i planned on replacing anyway so yea, next weekend im gonna bring the entire interior to bare metal, and order boards/rails/anything else i should do at same time. I wanted to start cutting out the boards, and have as much of the work done needed so when the welder comes to my house, he just has to drop in and weld ( might have a pro weld guy through a friend do a house call). Lemme know anything i should be aware of, i saw some pics of floor boards, the very end has no tab up, does that weld along the straight line?

Yeah man you lucked out. Although it will be interesting to see how far up the bondo/fiberglass rides up the quarter when you remove the molded flares. Hopefully it isnt bad other than that it's pretty good.

Order up the floors! http://www.datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm

I just need floor and support rails right? so $300, i dont need frame rails

Yeah man you lucked out. Although it will be interesting to see how far up the bondo/fiberglass rides up the quarter when you remove the molded flares. Hopefully it isnt bad other than that it's pretty good.

Order up the floors! http://www.datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm

You need to buy the bad dog frame rails for the v8 conversion. Also like Jeff said, the old flares will be an issue if you are going to remove them. If you take a look at my car, this is with the flares and then after I removed them.

Before:

484072904_YZLPW-XL.jpg

After:

511111024_QuBTt-L.jpg

Just be sure to plan the car out so you don't spend money twice. I had bondo and glass in my car so don't worry about that.

There only 85 for the fronts and 55 for the rear from Bad Dog parts? I thought they were going to be a lot more expensive. I guess i shouldnt complain haha. But yea, Im gonna order the floors, support rail, and frame rails this friday, so by the time your back ill have all of that. Do welders usually make housecalls or did you bring your car to a shop?

You think the floor is junk? I heard good things about the replacement floors and they are better gauge than the stock sheet metal.

There only 85 for the fronts and 55 for the rear from Bad Dog parts? I thought they were going to be a lot more expensive. I guess i shouldnt complain haha. But yea, Im gonna order the floors, support rail, and frame rails this friday, so by the time your back ill have all of that. Do welders usually make housecalls or did you bring your car to a shop?

Body shop that painted my car took care of it all. If you can get a welder to make house calls that would be nice if you have the space. The person can make some extra cash on the side. Is the plan to get the motor in and running then pull apart for paint or do all the body work first?

I want to get the motor in and running, then take care of all the body work. I assume a lot of cutting is in order when it comes to the rails and boards etc.

Body shop that painted my car took care of it all. If you can get a welder to make house calls that would be nice if you have the space. The person can make some extra cash on the side. Is the plan to get the motor in and running then pull apart for paint or do all the body work first?

Guest Gr8White
the steering wheel should be a wood composite wheel...not the leather covered which came in 260z,280z

Huh? My 78 has a wood steering wheel and has never been off the car, definitely not the one shown in the picture.

Guest Gr8White
I think we are all going to have to agree to disagree when it comes to stock interior pieces

Don't know if it makes any difference, but my car is (a better word would be "was") a black pearl- but other than knowing this, don't know if there was anything in the interior to distinguish it from another 78.....

I didnt get to do a ton this weekend, was running around a bit and i had to come back to school today to study for an Advanced Accounting exam :/

What i did get done:

Pulled Dash/pseudo removed harness

Continued stripping interior

Clean up top of battery terminal

Bought new toys

Addressed a possible rust issue on car

First off, i bought some new toys, HARBOR FREIGHT is like the new Toy's R US....I bought a Multifunction tool (sands/strips/cuts) a 4speed dremmel, and a drill, 188 piece accesory kit for dremel, and numerous attachments for the drill.

100_1714.jpg

100_1715.jpg

Here is are a few pics of the dash removal and what i did with the harness (they made these harnesses pretty smooth, all the clips have direct mates and it be really hard to mix stuff up when reconnecting, i appreciated this a lot)

100_1718.jpg

100_1723.jpg

100_1731.jpg

100_1735.jpg

I worked on the driver side a bit, and after the dash was out, was able to address the sound deadoning on the top center area. The drill and new attachments helped get the all the paint off. I want all of this down to bare metal before i do floorboards, so i can prime and repaint everything to look new again

100_1716.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1730.jpg

This spot here was cracking and made me super nervous, and i didnt want to wait a whole winter to find out what was going on underneath it. From the inside of the car i could feel the other side and it was smooth and not rusted through, and i poked it with a screw driver (half holding my breathe) and it seemed solid, So we took my new dremel and a appropriate attachment and brught it all the way down, there was some level of contact rust with cracking, but i got all of it off and now as you can see, its clean bare metal. This made me feel WORLDS better

100_1738.jpg

100_1739.jpg

Got my gf working on the car! She wasnt too happy with how much her wrists hurt after this, but she was happy to help. She cleaned up the top of the battery terminal. I still have to get to underneath it and around it, but at least it was addressed a little bit.

100_1717.jpg

100_1720.jpg

Won't be able to do much work next weekend, ill be at the gf's house for thanksgiving, but the weekend after, i shouldnt have any serious school obligations and i want to spend a serious 20 hours of just cleaning the interior, getting it all down to the metal. I need to either buy/borrow an air compressor, cause a shopvac isnt going to pick up all the debris building it, but with an air compressor, i feel like i can blow most of it out and almost suck it up out of the air with a shop vac. Im not sure, if anyone is in the area with a pancake compressor and wants to stop by to help, PM me, im serious. AAAND for future reference, i just lowered the megapixel setting on my camera and the pics from now on will be a bit smaller and more manageable to check out, sorry for any inconvenience.

100_1745.jpg