HybridZ

ok guys. So far this is what ive been told, and now im lost.

Guest ON3GO

Ok guys.

I have been talking to shops all day, and going from shop to shop and im hearing the same crap.

They said that its gonna be way too much money to put a RB25DET in my 240Z, they said that i wont have AC (which i need, it is Florida). so now i dont no what to do.

The car is just sitting in my garage begging for help.

I striped the interior, cuz im getting it painted soon.... so another question is what else should i take off the car to paint it?

theres nothing in the engine bay, and theres nothing inside.....am i good to go?

Im about to buy all new bushings, and coilovers, and brakes.

ok so far i have all that taken care of. (and thank you guys that helped..... it means alot)

I got all new glass coming for it, and i have my MOMO shift knob, pedals, and steering wheel all ready for the Z.

Ill wait on seats for now....

I really want those enkie rims and i know everybody said its gonna be hard to find them... but whats the name of the rims? so i can look on ebay, and what offset and etc i should look for?

i want 16in rims.

The body kit is coming... well just the ZG flairs, and the fiberglass no ducts front clip.

and the Californian style mirrors., and head light covers.

I need new factory 73 chrome bumpers... any place i should look?

Now what should i do about this motor... lol i need it to run.

Should i just get a LT1/6-speed.... and just do some bolt ons..

or a RB25DET/5-speed.... and up the boost and bolt ons..

I really want a low 12sec car that handles.. and i most important... that i can drive everyday.

What would be the cheapest way to make the power? and what motor?

thanks guys

mike

They said that its gonna be way too much money to put a RB25DET in my 240Z, they said that i wont have AC
This is probably the response you'll get 95% of the time with any "shop" that you talk to when it comes to Hybrid work. This is where you must resolve yourself to either figure out how to do it yourself, or find a "friend" skilled and willing to help you sort it all out. This is the same problem we've all had. Somewhere in town there's a mechanic who will appreciate what your doing, and will help.

go to one of the local parts stores and ask if they know anyone(that knows what they`re doing) who does work on the side. That is where I`ve gotten the majority of my business.

I would also suggest doing the same for paint and body. got to one of the local paint supply stores and ask if they know a good painter that does work on the side.

ok ill ask around...

i mean ill do the swap myself but ill mess it up.. i no that for a fact.

also for the Speedo and tach what should i get..Electronic or Mechanical?

thanks... also if anybody is selling those rims or any parts please let me no... ill be in a bind for awhile

mike

The shop's are right, at least from their perspective as businesses. This is a wild ass guess on my part, but I figure it would take about 175 hours to get the RB engine into the 240Z. That includes design, fabrication, installtion, wiring, plumbing (fuel, oil, coolant), and hundreds of other small things that pop up.

So let's figure just the labor charges: 175 hours * $60 per hour = $10,500.00. Are you willing to pay that (and remember that's just labor charges)?

My guess is that you are not and the shop owners figured that out pretty quick. If you are willing to pay that money, go back to the shop that you feel will produce the highest quality work and convince the owner that you have the money and the patience needed.

Again, business exist to make money. They need to bill 173.2 hours each month for each technician. If they can do that with 1 big job or 5 smaller jobs, normally they prefer the smaller jobs because they get paid quicker (5 payments in a month instead of 1) and the risk of non-payment is spread over 5 jobs instead of 1.

As John said businesses are the to make money.In my own shop,(at home)I charge 25.00hr, But I don`t have the overhead that a commercial shop does, as far as labor anyway.Tools are another story.(I could pay off my house for what my tools cost)

If you can find someone who does the work on the side,you should be able to cut the labor cost by a third or more. just make sure to contact people they`ve worked for before to see if they were happy with quality and the time involved. You don`t want your car to become someone elses "garage ornament"

frown.gif

well got some New's....

I will be doing the swap myself.. well my dad is gonna help and prob a few of my friends.

I bought some tools today and a engine puller and alot of other crap.

my head light covers, interior stuff like shift knob, steering wheel, pedals, carpet, etc.. is sitting in the garage along with 240sx brakes for the rear, and euro lights.

Im not sure what color to paint it yet.. thinking RSP from the 97+ supras. or like a jet black.

soo need alot of questions to be answered.. mostly on the motor..

Thanks

mike

If I were you (and I'm not) I'd go with the LT1 / 6 speed combo. The fancy RB25DET will give you a lot of thrust, but there are other factors to consider. Namely, how long will it last, and what will you do if it breaks?

The V8 swap is extremely well documented. Parts are cheap, and available at any HiLo or Pep Boys. Power is plentiful, and any goober in a corner garage can diagnose/fix problems, if you can't manage it yourself.

Something exotic won't make you go any faster, it'll only set you up for more heartache in the future when something goes wrong.

Guest Anonymous

Reminds me of a shop I took my Vega to for installing a turbo-V6 Buick in it. (I had a broken arm and couldn't do it.) I took the motor with the trans and motor mounts mounted to it in a truck and towed the car with the frame brackets and radiator in place. A month, and a ton of excuses, later I was out of my cast and went to get my car. The radiator was gone, the motor mounts and frame brackets were sitting in the floor behind the seat and the engine was sitting in the car, oil pan on the crossmember, with the turbocharger and intake removed. I called a tow truck and the police and took my car home. Six weeks later I had to pay a $575.00 bill for their "work" as the judge ruled that the motor was indeed "in" the car and I hadn't been specific enough when I told them what I wanted done. I never got my radiator and turbo assembly back.

Guest silverbullet

My $.02; I very stongly second what LEN168 said, I am not A.S.E. certified but I do know my way around cars fairly well and when I convert my 77-280 over I have decided to go with a carburated 350 and a 700R4 auto and maybe a few years after that I might think about a T56.

Well I know my way around cars.. but i dont want a older 350 or something like that..

Either a LT1, or SR20DET, or RB25DET.

I could but a VG30DETT in it cuz i know how to work on them but that would be even harder to swap in.

I really want to get this started because just last night in tampa ppl were runing there mouths saying how fast there little turbo civics are, and i so wanted to say "hey wanna race my old 240Z" cuz these kids think they are the **** , and there soooo not.

If i dont have atleast a mid 11sec car im gonna go crazy because I just want to make so much fun of these kids.

does anybody know of a place that sells LT1's with 6speed and all the goodies i need for the swap cheap?

and what would i need to do with the LT1 in my 73 to make it run the times i want?

thanks guys

mike

Wouldnt it be nice if, BIG IF, we had a HybridZ Multi-Jurisdictional Task Force; we could call it the HMJTF; or simply the HybridZ Task Force...HTF-oooh, I like the sound of that.

Its purpose (schedules permitting-yea I know, that's a joke sometimes) would be to find out which HybridZ member, in your area, had enough components, to go to the next phase. Then the "HTF" would assemble at that location at the agreed time-and work till that phase were completed.

Those that were new to the Hybrid transplant could learn-and the world of HybridZ's would prosper.

Ahh, what a perfect world that would be.

If the HTF came to fruition-does this mean we would have to:

1) Have our own uniforms?

2) Have our own secret handshake

3) Set up trust funds to continue the recruiting of new members

4) Set up a Dept.Minister in charge of Propaganda

5) Have secret meetings on how to take over the world bonk.gif

Oops, sorry-got a little carried away.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Terry, I think in the best interest of the HTF, so as to not compromise the HTF, that you should be responsible for designing only 1/3 of the Zecret Decoder ring; of which two other people will be responsible for the other 2/3rd's.

No "One Person" should have access to the entire Zecrets of the Zecret Decoder Ring...except of course-SuperDan. The possibilities of it falling in to the hands of the wrong club (other Mfg's) is something we can not allow.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

You should consider figuring out which swap you are going to do and then trial fit the motor and tranny before you do the paint work. It sounds like you are going to paint the engine bay body color and I would hate to see you trash it doing the swap. just my $0.02 :D

Ah yes, I like it better already. And we could have the 'ZZ' dressed in the Datsun colors protecting the Hybridum against the purifying forces; those purests that toss and turn at night, sweating in unending nightmares they have of hiding THEIR hybrid from their more pure bretheren, fearful that they will be found out, and called to come out of the "garage". I say yes, YES.....YEEEESSSSSSSS.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by ON3GO:

Well I know my way around cars.. but i dont want a older 350 or something like that..

I could but a VG30DETT in it cuz i know how to work on them but that would be even harder to swap in.

I really want to get this started because just last night in tampa ppl were runing there mouths saying how fast there little turbo civics are, and i so wanted to say "hey wanna race my old 240Z" cuz these kids think they are the **** , and there soooo not.

If i dont have atleast a mid 11sec car im gonna go crazy because I just want to make so much fun of these kids.

does anybody know of a place that sells LT1's with 6speed and all the goodies i need for the swap cheap?

and what would i need to do with the LT1 in my 73 to make it run the times i want?

thanks guys

mike

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by my78z:

quote:

Originally posted by ON3GO:

thanks guys

mike