HybridZ

Marbles in my transmission

I've got a 1972 240Z with a five speed out of a 1981 280ZX. Now (couple of years after the installation of the 5-speed) I'm getting some strange noise I'm trying to diagnose before I drop the trans. when the car is idling in neutral without the clutch being depressed, I'm getting a noise that sounds a little bit like a rod knock, or marbles against metal. When I press in the clutch the noise goes away. When the car is moving in gear I hear the noise a bit but not as loudly. When the trans was installed I put in a new throwout bearing, pilot bushing, clutch, etc. Clearly it only make the noise when the clutch is locked up, which I assume must be something that is spinning under this condition. I'm guessing it may be the input shaft bearing on the trans. Any other ideas before I rip into it? The condition does not seem to affect drivablility at all but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before something fails. Thoughts?

It's bearing noise. Could be input, I think it's usually countershaft. I've been told it can be related to the mainshaft nut loosening up. I have a friend who rebuilt her trans, and within a week it was doing it just as badly as before. She had it rebuilt again, same thing. I think that transmission has been in the car now for 8 or 9 years, still makes the noise, no other problems. If it bugs you you can fix the bearings, the question is how long will it be fixed for?