HybridZ

anti-seize,, experience and when to use

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have never used anti-seize products. I've replaced parts like steering knuckles, bolts in steering shafts, mounts, etc in other words, steel bolts on steeel treads. I typically torque correctly. Should I start using anti-seize to avoid frozen bolts in the future,,, and if so could you recommend products that work and when to use. Sometimes I spray W-D as a torquing lub, wonder if that helps avoid seizing. Thoughts?

Steve

I only use anti-sieze on fasteners that will see corrosion or lots of heat cycles, are made of dissimmilar metals, or that tend to get removed and replaced a lot (like wheel studs.) Otherwise, I just make absolutely sure the fasteners are in perfect shape and are spotlessly clean and dry. I do not use oil or WD40. I do use blue Loctite on many suspension and driveline fasteners.

I've used it on exhaust manifold bolts, and a year later, they came out reasonably easy. Intake bolts too. Any bolts you might want to take out later (within reason.) As an R&D chemist, I've worked on several kinds of anti-siezes. I've liked the copper kind best. Try to avoid the kind with Chlorine in it.

Where do you get your anti-sieze?

Guest De Schmaydee

hell!.....i use it on velcro....and everything else (any place it wont rub off on me...and some places it will) i put it on my ice cream....

......but seriously i do use it on any bolts that have the remotest chance of freezing....especially exhaust and suspension parts (but just about all steel/aluminium)...i've used it for years...its just too much of a bitch for a 10min job to turn into a 2 week job because a bolt or stud broke off......i dont like "the copper" at all...i just use the silver.....it looks better on all my clothes (cause it sure as hell wont wash out of anything you get it on). ......s

I use it on my lawnmower even. It is great on spark plugs and I even used it on my head bolts on the latest engine I assembled since the head bolts have a tendency to stick.

Really you should use it anyplace I bolt it likely to rust or seize, particularily in exhaust.

Just about any autoparts store, or if you're too lazy for that :D , order online from Summit, Jegs, HarborFreight and so on and so forth. ugg.gif

Remember: Home Depot is for house stuff, and if you're REALLY lucky, someone there knows about that stuff. twak.gif:mad:

Tim

I use it on heat cycled parts like exhaust manifolds, brake calipers (great on sliders), etc.. I also use it on stuff that is taken apart regularly like wheel lugs and spark plugs.

Beware of using this stuff on MAG wheel style lugs!! These are the lugs without a taper, I used a little antiseize on my car and had several lug nuts fall off within a week. I guess the nature of the loading on these lugs backs them out. I got tired of finding them loose periodically and cleaned off the antiseize which cured the problem.

Perry