HybridZ

MAD Auto's New Project car

spacecase70

Hey guys, we are finally getting to work on the FoxZM hot rod Z! It is a 1970 240Z with 43,000 original miles, and was highly modified for playing on the track. We are posting pics for the build and posting answers to any questions reguarding the pics, and asking for advice( attn. BRAAP) concerning this endeavor. So please enjoy the pics we will be posting more to come!

Box O Parts_thumb.JPG

Box O Parts (2)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (2)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (3)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (4)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (5)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (6)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (7)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (8)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (9)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (10)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (11)_thumb.JPG

Cleaning the Monster (12)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (2)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (3)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (5)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (4)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (6)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (7)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (8)_thumb.JPG

close ups of oilpan (9)_thumb.JPG

L3100 (2)_thumb.JPG

L3100 bottom end_thumb.JPG

L3100 bottom end (3)_thumb.JPG

L3100 bottom end (4)_thumb.JPG

L3100 bottom end (5)_thumb.JPG

L3100 bottom end (6)_thumb.JPG

L3100 SemiDrySump Pan_thumb.JPG

L3100 SemiDrySump Pan (2)_thumb.JPG

L3100 SemiDrySump Pan (3)_thumb.JPG

L3100 SemiDrySump Pan (4)_thumb.JPG

L3100 SemiDrySump Pan (5)_thumb.JPG

L3100 SemiDrySump Pan (6)_thumb.JPG

L3100_thumb.JPG

Lots of welding here_thumb.JPG

Oil Pan Mod_thumb.JPG

Oil Pickup_thumb.JPG

Oil Pump Mod_thumb.JPG

Oil Pump Modified_thumb.JPG

Outside pick up line_thumb.JPG

Outside Pick up line (2)_thumb.JPG

Pan Baffels_thumb.JPG

Pickup Screen_thumb.JPG

Spacecase at work_thumb.JPG

the mysterious Oil Pump_thumb.JPG

the mysterious Oil Pump (2)_thumb.JPG

the mysterious Oil Pump (3)_thumb.JPG

the mysterious Oil Pump (4)_thumb.JPG

the oil pan baffel plate(2)_thumb.JPG

the oil pan baffel plate(3)_thumb.JPG

the oil pan baffel plate(4)_thumb.JPG

the oil pan baffel plate(5)_thumb.JPG

the oil pan baffel plate(6)_thumb.JPG

the oil pan baffel plate(7)_thumb.JPG

the upside down motor_thumb.JPG

the upside down motor (2)_thumb.JPG

the upside down motor (3)_thumb.JPG

the upside down motor (4)_thumb.JPG

Thew MadMan_thumb.JPG

What intake was being used with that Holley ???

Sorry, no idea on the oil system...

Kurt

We will be putting up some pics of the CP 4v mannafold as well as the Hooker supercomp headers and as we work through it We will show how I squeze in Two 2.5 inch exhausts into the trans tunnel along with the stock FS5 trans with bolt flange yoke and original two piece propeller shaft.

Lots more to come.

Ok, that oil pump is a stock oil pump, with the bottom half of the housing replaced by a Nissan Motorsports Part Number 15015-GC002. The usage and installation of that part is detailed in Frank Honsowetz's "How To Modify your Nissan and Datsun OHC engine", Nissan Part Number 99996-M8012. (the book has a Nissan part number, too.)

The oil pan and pickup look like Nissan Motorsports parts, as well. There are pictures of this setup in the book, as well.

You'll note that the oil pump has an open AN-8 line on it...that goes directly to the external oil filter, then to an oil cooler, then gets routed back into the side of the block where the oil filter would thread on...you may want to double check that you have all the pieces there, since you have an oil filter screwed onto the block. This oil pump and pan combination will not work with the stock oil filter, you'll need an external filter, and either a adaptor plate or a thread adaptor to go from the block to the oil line fitting. All this is detailed in the book, too.

Do you have a part number for the book, is that available through Nissan?

I got mine off of amazon. Pretty good resource, not a detailed how to, but a great read for the overall theory and basic applications broken down by category. Worth having in my opinion

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Your-Nissan-Datsun-Engine/dp/1931128049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258605604&sr=8-1

in reguards to the oil filter you saw on the block, i put it on fr cleaning the block. we have all the parts including to dual oilfilter setup with oil cooler too! we had noticed when we were cleaning the oil pump, it had the initials D. M. stamped into it, and there is alot of welding on the pump for the fittings used. we were hoping someone could identify the initials to find out who built the pump. thenk you for the part numbers though! that is a big help for replacing the part if ever needed!

Interesting, the oil system looks like an external sump to a stock style pump.

Can you take some pics of the front of the car? It looks like it has a pretty interesting grill/foglight setup.

here are a few pics.

My comp crashed and I lost access to several of the build pics but you can check out my Photobucket here:

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/bartmerr/?newest=1

A MAD Z_thumb.JPG

a new defuser look_thumb.JPG

bumperets or fast jack points_thumb.JPG

Can I squeze it in_thumb.JPG

Cooling to the botom_thumb.JPG

diferant look UmHumm_thumb.JPG

diferant look UmHumm (2)_thumb.JPG

expermenting with a new look_thumb.JPG

From the left side_thumb.JPG

guess what the lights are from_thumb.JPG

look at the ducts can you say COOLING_thumb.JPG

My custom grill work_thumb.JPG

Damn...the more I think about that oiling system, the more it seems to be the solution I'm looking for on my LD...anyone know about what the price on the pan + pump housing combo would be?

That is the information that I am looking for, Who what were when and how.

If you want to pay me a lot of money I will see if I can reproduce them.

I guess I don't understand the advantage of an oil system like that. It still is a wet sump. I don't know that I would trust the modifications to the stock pump. Unless you plan on doing serious road racing with it I'd use a new stock pump, pickup and pan. If you can use that pan with a stock pickup then at least you can get the better baffling if you at least are doing auto-X or track days.

A full road race L6 usually has a dry sump and external aftermarket oil pump that runs off the crankshaft pulley with remote filters.

Baddog Parts just dropped one of those oil pans off to me and I blasted it clean yesterday. Ask him if he knows where they are from. His has the same gated baffling system but is a little different layout, pan looks identical though. I will post a photo tomorrow when I get back to the shop.