HybridZ

My 1978 280z resto/mod build in the making...

Hi guys! Sorry its taking so long. The build is not dead just dormant. The garage took longer than I expected and Im finishing it up this weekend so ill have all the space I need to take care of everything. Once it is all back together Im going to start stitch welding the entire front end. So thanks for being patient and Ill have some pics up soon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright guys after a long wait here is an update. I have finish my garage and started on the car again. I have taken the car off of the dolly and put it in it's final place until my suspension is back on. The first pics are how the car was before I started sandblasting this week.

2lt0a5g.jpg

fdefxx.jpg

34qsfax.jpg

k2iirq.jpg

n36yqo.jpg

20zbhua.jpg

2ed7dw1.jpg

Here are some of the toys I have been using. The compressor is a rental from Northside Tool Rental here in Atlanta, it's a 8.5 horsepower dual stage air compressor. This thing is a beast at 90psi its flowing 14.7 cfm it never misses a beat. The sandblaster is from Horror Freight. The only mods I had to do to it were replace the crappy water separator with a nicer one from Home Depot.

mvtdly.jpg

256xkp5.jpg

This was a gift from my boss at work, just cause he didn't want it anymore, perks of working at a Shell Station were companies give us stuff for free.

21b15ki.jpg

Here is an after teaser shot, there are more to come tomorrow...

zl9si0.jpg

Sorry for the delays on pics guys had a couple of problems with the compressor, the bolts on the exhaust stripped out the head from vibrating so much, so I had to run it back to the rental place until they get a new one for me on monday. So stay tuned..

• 2 months later...

Hey guys its been a while but Im going to try and keep this thing updated. I recently got hired at Toyota so I work in the mornings and have a bunch of free time in the afternoons, so hopefully the next couple weeks will be full of updates.

Well just to show you guys I have been busy....

I cleaned up my L28ET block, painted it and cleaned up all of the aluminum. I am also replacing as many of the bolts that I can with stainless socket-head bolts, stainless bolts, or just plain old grade 8 bolts. Well now what people really care about the pics!!!

began with

9qbprt.jpg

122mcud.jpg

s4tcaw.jpg

After

rck3t4.jpg

2r735zk.jpg

2pqqts2.jpg

I partially polished the differential cover and it also got the socket-head treatment...

2zs431k.jpg

O yeah i almost forgot.....my favorite part of the build....

35jhw68.jpg

I'm completely jealous. I'm planning to do a full restoration project on my 78 280z, but I'm debates on what I should be doing. Any tips? Alot of people are telling me to stop and find a new body, but I mean this is my first car I get to work on since I'm a student at an automotive school. It being my first car, it being my first experiences, so yeah...

- RemieGino14 -

Ok guys got a late start on the car today but I made some progress. I primed and painted my valve cover and stripped my oil pan to bare metal. Here is a pic of the valve cover

21bknyr.jpg

And here is a glimpse of my oil pan bolts, don't worry guys Im not leaving it bare...

2qdv90z.jpg

What do you guys think??

Ok guys got some more work done today. Im not moving as fast as I would like but slow progress is still progress. Today I pulled my oil pan off so I can decide how I want my new sump to look and how I want the baffles in it. Here is a shot of the inside of my bare pan...

330edlj.jpg

I also clean up my a/c bracket and pulled the CAS pickup off of the bracket since I wont be using it.(It took a while to clean, I wish I would have taken a before pic because you couldn't even tell that it was aluminum aside from the weight.)

23wihc.jpg

I wanted to update you guys on my suspension. Aside from the coilovers(ground control kit and tokico illuminas) the rest of the suspension is going to remain pretty much stock(for now.) I went through and painted all of the stock bits and pieces, even the half shafts!

291drib.jpg

After speaking to a local datsun enthusiast/racer/builder/restorer/etc.etc, Eddie Radatz I decided to go ahead and try the 280zx N/A intake which according to him flows extremely well compared to the stock intake due to the taper towards the rear. So heck I'll give it a shot considering it only cost me shipping for it and the guy I bought it from sandblasted it. So here are some pics of the two manifolds.

ndy6t.jpg

4glyc5.jpg

The last thing for today are my calipers. I have a buddy that gave me a hell of a deal on some re-manufactured s12+8 calipers. I didn't want them to rust so I painted them with VHT header paint, its flat red. I don't know how I feel about the color just yet. I mean it's not bad but still Im not sure if I'll keep the color.

8zqyzd.jpg

9ghds7.jpg

Alright guys that is it for tonight. Let me know what you think and there will be more tomorrow.

I'm completely jealous. I'm planning to do a full restoration project on my 78 280z, but I'm debates on what I should be doing. Any tips? Alot of people are telling me to stop and find a new body, but I mean this is my first car I get to work on since I'm a student at an automotive school. It being my first car, it being my first experiences, so yeah...

- RemieGino14 -

Other than that your doing a nice job. Lol. Wished I had the funds, barely even stripping the damn car down...which is taking a while.

- RemieGino14 -

hehe Well you're a year ahead of me on my car, and I'm certain a few 100 bucks ahead too. How was the aircraft stripper? I saw you went ahead and blasted it anyway. Perhaps it's just better to have it media blasted and save the mess and fumes from the stripper. I mean I know there should be some sanding after the stripper.

Tell me more about your coilovers. Where'd you get the kit? about how much am I looking to have to spend on it?

Your project is looking really good right now. Don't forget to seal the holes beneath the rear where you did the bondo work, you don't want it to rust from the underside out.. Since you've got all the suspension out, you might as well seal the whole underside. Seam sealer and Eastwoods got a nice black epoxy sealer paint you might look at.

The aircraft stripper is great. The best i've used so far is marhyde tal-strip 2 aircraft remover. So far it is the best and i've tried just about every other product at oreily's, autozone, advance, and napa. I prefer the stuff in the jug as apposed to the spray. The fumes are a little better and you don't get the mist from the spray. The marhyde works great on the factory asphalt based undercoating. The key is you have to lather it on heavy, leave it for at least 15-30 minutes, and then have a sturdy scraper handy to dig it off. You will also need a trashcan handy to clean the scraper off.

Id have to say sending the car off to be media blasted would be the best option. In my case it was easier to do half and half. The under body was near impossible for me to blast because I couldn't shell out the extra money for a rotisserie. That is where the stripper came in extra handy. I also used a knotted wire wheel attached to my grinder, it helps a lot but is extremely loud underneath the car.

The coil-overs are from ground control. They are the 280z weld kit, here is thelink. The price is $399.99 plus shipping. There are websites online were they are a little cheaper but I didn't mind spending a few extra dollars to speak to their customer service reps. They are very knowledgeable about their product and i recommend going straight to the source for their parts. As for shocks i bought tokico illuminas from beta motorsports. I can't remember the price but John is an honest guy and I will definitely be doing business with him in the future.

As for the underbody i have some plans. I've been doing some research on diy undercoatings and i think ive come to a conclusion.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delay you guys, Its cold in Georgia, I used a bunch of money on Christmas, and now I have a cold. In other news I had some fun today while I was laying around the house....what do you guys think???

28u7ayo.jpg

Carbon Fiber Megasquirt Case!!!!! Just Kidding its that 3m vinyl.

What do you guys think?